News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Group of early phones on eBay

Started by Sargeguy, March 30, 2019, 12:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

A consignment firm in Cumberland RI offered a group of excellent early phones for sale on eBay recently. It was the finest grouping on eBay I have ever seen.  The phones were very early, some marked "National Bell Telephone" (predecessor of ABT).  Along with the phones were some miscellaneous CO equipment.  The phones were "barn fresh" and were well preserved despite some missing parts. Since Cumberland is  20 minutes from my house I went to view the items first hand. The lot came from a local auction in New Hampshire. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

National Bell Coffin $6800

The phone is missing a few pieces and the crank is broken, but other than that it is well preserved. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Post & Co. coffin $9,9999

The phone is complete and in excellent condition.  There was some damage to the case resulting from switching out the magneto and ringers. The phone has a burled walnut veneer that will really look nice once polished up.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Charles Williams ringer box $5200

This box went for about 10x the normal selling price.  Is there something I am missing?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Charles Williams switch $3500!!!!🤯

I have no idea why this switch sold for $3500.  My estimate was $150 at most.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

NET&T top box $787

This is an excellent example of a NET&T box.  These are made from parts leftover when Western Electric became the sole manufacturer of Bell Telephones. The shield was meant to cover the hole left by the friction drive magneto when it was replaced.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Charles Williams top box $654

This box was mis-labelled as the auctioneer did not notice the Charles Williams imprint on the cover.  Pretty good condition overall except for the missing ringer and bells.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Large ringer (Possibly Charles Williams) $417

This is one of the pieces that makes me think the lot was associated with an early CO.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Yes, some very rare and very nice phones.  Although, sold for too much.  Somebody really wanted these,
Dave

Sargeguy

The two top boxes were on the high side of the normal range.  The coffins were around 50% higher than expected.  The prices for the switch and ringer box are off by a factor of ten IMO
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

CanadianGuy

I'm a car guy, and I'm sickened whenever I see Barrett Jackson auctions and such, as it seems like it's just rich people where money is no object. Does anyone else think that this is happening with the telephone collecting hobby?

Doug Rose

Quote from: CanadianGuy on March 31, 2019, 03:57:55 PM
I'm a car guy, and I'm sickened whenever I see Barrett Jackson auctions and such, as it seems like it's just rich people where money is no object. Does anyone else think that this is happening with the telephone collecting hobby?
Sure...it happens all the time. There is a different layers than us to collecting. 10K for a partial phone is no issue. Deep pockets will always win. The sad thing is if I saw it at a yard sale for $50, I would walk away from it....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Coffin phones were wall mounted, and were used with a wall-mounted Blake transmitter or two receivers.  Each part was considered a seperate component.  They were usually not found on backboards.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409