News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Manhole cover

Started by McHeath, April 11, 2009, 03:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I remember those manhole covers. they all seemed to get replaced as chicago went through the era of fiber optic-azation back in the early 90's. I remember looking at them as a kid and wondering about the bolt pattern on them. thanks for bringing back that memory :)

that lobby looks cool, do you have any move photos of the hotel?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

McHeath

The hotel is pretty cool.  It's main structure is a late 19th century two story, that had an uber modern, for it's time, hotel built up around it in the 50's.  They have pretty much left everything as is, so it's like a time capsule, even the bathrooms still have all pink tile with red trim, and there are chrome bottle openers installed in each bathroom to boot.  There is a hilarious kitchy door chime that plays when you open the door, it's a little round box made in Austria with a string on it that the door pulls, and it plays "There's no place like home".  My house had the same device installed on the front door when I bought it, guess they were the rage back in the day.

A room rents for 60 bucks in the off season, winter, and goes up from there.  We usually stay there when we go to that area as we really like the style of the place.  They play jazz in the lobby from the old days, and light the fire at night, and once some hip cats gathered around the piano and did a little impromtu concert.  The bed side clocks are all ancient Westclocks from the early 60's, and the rooms don't have phones, you have to use the phone booth for that.  (Cell reception is pretty spotty there)

Glad you liked that manhole cover pattern, hope it stays in use there for many more years.

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on April 11, 2009, 03:31:52 PM
Went over to the beach for a couple of days this week, Cambria Calif, and found this manhole cover in town.

I wonder how much shipping would cost on ebay.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Found this outside my building yesterday.  I can't tell you how many times I've walked over it without noticing it.
= DARRIN =

Dan

Bingster, I'm an honest man, but that would look great above the fireplace ;)

I believe yours is the newer version, while McHeath is the original. I wonder if they could flip them over and count the support clips on the underside, whther there are six or seven of them? You could see if it is soft or hard iron and look for a little date on the underside.... :o
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

If I put on my old orange city worker shirt, had a job for public works once upon a time, I could probably pull the cover and no one would care.  They are pretty cool designs eh?  Cool to see the one from Bingster. 

Dan/Panther

I wonder if you could get permission to make a plaster cast. Then pour resin into the plaster and make a wall hanger out of it.
D/P
If anyone can pull it off, I'd gladly pay a good fee for a resin cast of the plaster mold.

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

mienaichizu

I was also thinking of that! :D

HobieSport

Ramil those Japanese manhole covers are awesome!

There is a kind of hardening foam that is used in the movie set industry for making casts that are very manageable.  I forget the name of it, but it is used for example to make casts of natural rocks.

If I had a cast (foam or plaster of paris) for a manhole cover I would cast a 3" thick wire reinforced concrete pad for my door step.  A bit heavy to market on Ebay though. ;)
-Matt

mienaichizu

I was also amazed when I see those manhole covers posted on my friend's blogsite

bwanna

i know she's a little rusty, but i salvaged this prize from the scrap heap recently. i plan to clean her up a bit & incorporate into my garden area somehow. forgot to check for date underneath, tho. i'd be willing to  try that resin cast for anyone interested.
donna

Dan/Panther

Bwanna;
If you clean it up real nice with a wire wheel, and get the proper casting material for the job, I'm sure someone here would have the proper names of products for this purpose. I would gladly pay you a very good fee for a cast in resin of the manhole cover. Unpainted as I would like to paint it myself. I would gladly pay all shipping and insurance also.
I'm very serious here, and you have the perfect example for a wall hanger or garden stepping stones out of concrete
Please fgollow through and let me know.
Can you imagine have a hardwood floor with this right in the middle. Have it so you can lift it up, and a sign under the cover would say "you wish....!!!", or "Dream On !!!"
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

That was a good find indeed!  And Dan all of your suggestions sounds like good ones.  I like the hardwood floor one the best!

bwanna

dan/panther

i seriously will follow thru! but you will have to be patient with me. the cover is located at my "week-end"home, so may take me the summer to accomplish the project. i have an idea for the casting material, but if anyone has suggestions, please post them. \
wire wheel cleanup is the plan. i will use it as a stepping stone.  initially, we were hoping to acquire the ring that this fits in,  to use as a fire pit & cover when not in use. but haven't gotten ahold of the ring yet.
like your floor idea, too.  huuuummm???? maybe could use as the hatch over the crawl space opening. would be a little heavy to lift off, tho. ;)
will keep you updated.
donna