News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green D1

Started by jfrutschy, June 14, 2013, 11:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrutschy

Me again everyone, this time its a question regarding the Green D1 in my collection.  Did they come with the same colored subset or just  standard black?

Phonesrfun

Many of the green D1's came out in the 1950's as the "Continental", and were designed to use up surplus supplies of the D1 mounts that were taken out of service after the war.  Some would say it was a matter of putting lipstick on the proverbial pig, but these are really nice pieces today.  The Continentals also had a dial with a clear finger wheel.  The gold Imperials also had an off-white vinyl base, and  Continental I believe retained the traditional brown felt base.

Larry Wolff's Book says that Imperials and Continentals could be ordered with matching subsets.

See:  "Desk Telephones of the Bell System"  Lawrence A. Wolff, pages 96-98B

Subsets were always mounted on the wall down by the baseboard, and were often under tables or behind some other piece of furniture such as a sofa or a desk.  They were meant to be heard and not seen, so it may have been acceptable practice to pair a colored Continental with a black subset.  I believe the D1's were made in colors back in the 1930's long before the Continental.  Those would have likely been used with black subsets.
-Bill G

poplar1

Quote from: jfrutschy on June 14, 2013, 11:30:37 PM
Me again everyone, this time its a question regarding the Green D1 in my collection.  Did they come with the same colored subset or just  standard black?

I've found some Continentals with matching subsets--red, green and ivory so far. The subsets I have seen are all painted---whether metal or Bakelite. The old rose Continental  I have has a darker rose base cover. The gold Imperials have white suede base covers. The rest of the base covers are brown so far as I know.

The finger wheels can be either clear (open center) or unpainted metal. The dials--4J, 5J or 6D--have cases painted white. Usually, the cords are cloth covered in matching colors, but for some reason some of the green Continentals have black rubber cords. The F1A handsets are usually painted over the original black, although some of the Imperials have Tenite solid ivory handsets.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

jfrutschy

If read so much since the phoneitis took a hold of me.  But there is a lifetime of phones to learn about.

Much appreciated

John

Doug Rose

Quote from: jfrutschy on June 15, 2013, 10:05:46 AM
If read so much since the phoneitis took a hold of me.  But there is a lifetime of phones to learn about.

Much appreciated

John
[/quote John....I know I have a few "somewhere." Off to Maine for Janet's Father's Day. I find one beginning of the week....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Here are two green Continentals with black cords and metal finger wheels---not sure if the finger wheels are aluminum or stainless steel..

poplar1

There's some good info about the evolution of cords and dial types on Continentals and Imperials in JimH's post here; an ebay seller was retelling what he had learned from his great uncle about these sets.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5946.0

Also, a picture of a red Continental that sold recently: