News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yellow 500DR on the Bay

Started by Slal, November 26, 2014, 09:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

For a "spring" color, yellow seems to have come up a couple of times this month. 

Wonder how much this one will end up going for?

EBay: #390981151095

Slal

$154.38  wow...   I'd have bet $85 & would've lost the "guessing game."

Now that it's over, just one question for future ref.

Can the gap between dial face & housing be remedied? 

I'd think you'd have to either bend 'posts' that hold dial forward (to alter angle), or is there a trick to doing something with housing?

thx

--Bruce

WesternElectricBen

Bruce,

That is a good question, what I have done to mostly mend the gap was to readjust how the dial sits on the stand. Also, adding a o-ring can help to keep the dial in place.

Ben

Slal

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on December 01, 2014, 05:39:07 PM
Bruce,

That is a good question, what I have done to mostly mend the gap was to readjust how the dial sits on the stand. Also, adding a o-ring can help to keep the dial in place.

Ben

Solutions are so obvious once someone else points them out. 

Just shim between posts & dial to adjust angle...   Why didn't I think of that?  ; )

Thanks for the tip.

--Bruce

Dennis Markham

Bruce, I have had a few phones that had a similar issue, with the gap around the dial bezel.  It can be caused by various reasons.  Sometimes the housing gets warped.  Sometimes the dial bezel gets warped.  You can usually check these two things by simply placing the pieces on a table top and see if they sit squarely.  I have not found much that can be done about a warped housing or bezel.  I'm sure there are tricks for doing that.  Often the gaps are caused by the base being bent.  Again you can place the phone on a table and look at it at eye level.  Is the gap between the table top and the bottom of the phone the same from end to end?  (Do this with the housing off of the phone).  I have had them kind of curved in the center, where perhaps something heavy was set on the phone.  I've had them bent like that on a 554 as well.  Often is you can straighten out the bend.  The bezel (and dial), while seated on the upright dial posts will then fit properly in the hole of the housing.  To straighten them I have used a small block of wood...maybe a piece of a 2X4 and center the base on the chunk of wood, then carefully push down on each end until it appears straight.  This has worked for me in the past.  If you're lucky and nothing is bent or warped, the dial just may not be seated properly on the dial support posts.  An easy fix.

Good luck.

~Dennis

rotary63

Hello everyone,
I am the one who spent the $154. for this phone.  I have been looking for a soft plastic 554 and 500 for my collection for a while.  It seemed the early ones were very elusive.  Finally, last month, I was able to get a 1957 yellow in very nice condition, however, I was still unable to find an early 500 until I saw this one.  I didn't think I would pay that much for it either, but it seems that the early soft plastic 500s and 554s are getting very popular these days.  I am still happy with the acquisition.
I haven't received it yet, I will post pics of before and after restoration and also the 554 later.
S.D. Hudson

Slal

Quote from: rotary63 on December 03, 2014, 01:30:18 PM
Hello everyone,
I am the one who spent the $154. for this phone.  I have been looking for a soft plastic 554 and 500 for my collection for a while.  It seemed the early ones were very elusive.  Finally, last month, I was able to get a 1957 yellow in very nice condition, however, I was still unable to find an early 500 until I saw this one.  I didn't think I would pay that much for it either, but it seems that the early soft plastic 500s and 554s are getting very popular these days.  I am still happy with the acquisition.
I haven't received it yet, I will post pics of before and after restoration and also the 554 later.

Congrads!   Will turn over to you then.  Glad you got them.   :)

Best

--Bruce

rotary63

Thanks Bruce,
I'll let you know about the gap too.
Scott
S.D. Hudson