News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Troubleshooting hand crank not producing ring- Sumter

Started by geberle1, January 19, 2020, 11:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geberle1

I have a 1910 era wood crank phone, when I crank, the rod does not move to hit the bells.

Phone was converted back in the 70's but the crank worked until recently.

I put a volt meter on the crank mechanism, and it fluctuates when I crank. If I put the volt meter on audio, it beeps as it cranks.

Not sure really how to troubleshoot it.

Are these parts available?

dsk

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
I'll guess it is the ringer, maybe a mechanical problem?
You should be able to measure a resistance trough the ringer. My guess is between 1 and 2 kilo-ohms.

dsk

geberle1

The ringer looks pretty worn from the ages, not sure how to measure the ohms. I have a volt meter. Is there a way I can test the unit with a small battery, like AA 1.5 volt?

Can the part be refurbished or better to replace?  I found what looks like a compatible replacement for $69, Western Electric. I hate to replace it if it isn't the issue.

rdelius

That WE ringer uses 3 inch gongs. Your Sumter uses smaller gongs. That ringer will not fit unless holes are drillled and gongs replaced. A multi meter would check the coils.

dsk

The clapper should move free and easy about from gong to gong not more, maybe slightly less, but not more when you remove the gongs, the magnet should be strong enough to feel it when you touch with a screwdriver.  The to coils are in series with a winding direction making them work to move the clapper the same direction. If you not have disconnected them from each other , it is no reason for believing they are wrong, but an ohm-meter will probably let you measure a total resistance of 1000-2000. ohms

dsk