News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help with this Western Electric 193G Payphone

Started by wds, November 22, 2014, 07:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I cut the strap from the relay.  This must be the operator controlled relay - when coins are deposited they stop at that point until the relay is triggered then the coins drop into the vault.  The strap held the relay so that the coins always dropped into the coin vault.  I did notice that sometimes the coins did not clear the relay unless you dropped another coin to help push it through, so I will restrap it. 

I also noticed that there is another lever (see red arrow).  it was rotated to the left which forced the coins into the coin vault.  When I rotate it to the right, all coins drop into the return chute.  Would this have been something that the repair crew would have done to take the phone out of order?  Or is that something the operator controlled? 
Dave

Phonesrfun

wds:

Your phone is a postpay that did not need a relay for its purpose.  The contacts on yours are simply a switch that was activated by the coins dropping through the chute.  The little coil on the base of the housing is a resistance coil, not the coil of a coin relay.  The fact that the wire tie was holding the contacts in a firm position with no flexibility might be why the coins were getting stuck on the way past the switch.  Also, the collect/return vane was probably being held permanently in the collect position on purpose.

I noticed in one of Steph's posts on the listserv that he thought maybe your phone has a postpay switch that is mounted on a coin chute of a prepay, which would explain the collect/return vane.

At any rate, I would find another way to hold the coin vane in the collect position, but leave the switch free so that coins dropping through will not be obstructed.
-Bill G

poplar1

"The coin vane is positioned permanently to the left, allowing all coins to drop into the coin receptacle...
A coin-trap counterweight holds the coin trap in a horizontal position unless it is forced downward by a passing coin."

Full Text:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7.00 DIAL POSTPAY SERVICE (CDO)

7.01 In dial postpay service, dial tone is received,
        the called number is dialed, and the called
party answers before a deposit is required. Refund
of deposits is not necessary. Dial postpay service
has central office equipment which, when the called
party answers on nonfree calls, automatically
splits the connection and sends a deposit-coin tone
to the calling party. Deposit-coin tone is a low tone
to inform the calling party that the called party
has answered and that the required coins should
be deposited. During the time the connection is
split, the battery supply to the coin station is re-
versed in direction. This current reversal prepares
the coin collector for the 10-cent initial coin de-
posit. The first coin, passing through the coin
hopper, opens a pair of contacts on the spring
assembly, which places a 4450-ohm resistor mo-
mentarily in the circuit. The increased loop resis-
tance will cause the central office equipment to
remove the split connection and prepare the circuit
for conversation.

7.02  The central office line circuit for dial post-
         pay service furnishes battery on the ring
side and ground on the tip side of the line. This
requires only a completion of the loop through the
primary circuit to operate the line circuit an pre-
pare the line for dialing as indicated by dial tone
(loop start).

7.03  For dial postpay service, the coin hopper is
        equipped with a coin trap and a coin vane.
The coin vane is positioned permanently to the
left, allowing all coins to drop into the coin recep-
tacle. With the coin vane blocked in the collect posi-
tion, a coin shield is not required. A coin-trap
counterweight holds the coin trap in a horizontal
position unless it is forced downward by a
passing coin.

7.04  A contact-spring assembly is mounted on
        the coin hopper. This assembly consists of a
pair of normally closed contacts which are opened
by linkage to the movement of the coin trap. This
results in the contacts' being opened momentarily
as each coin drops through the coin hopper and
forces the coin trap downward. The contacts are
wired in series with the telephone's primary
circuit.

7.05   A 63CH (4450-ohm) resistor mounted on
         the mechanism base is wired in multiple
with the contact springs in the primary circuit.
The resistor is shunted out of the circuit when the
contacts are closed and is effective in the circuit
when the contacts are opened.

7.06   A 31A varistor which is mounted on the   
          contact-spring assembly bracket is also     
bridged across the resistor and the contacts. The
varistor is poled so as to be in opposition (open)
to the reverse current flow on the line. Under this
reverse current condition, the varistor will not
shunt out the resistor when the contacts are
opened. Normal direction current will now flow through
the varistor, shunting the resistor, as when coins
are deposited with an operator on the line. This
reduces objectionable clicks.

From BSP 506-110-100, Issue 1, January, 1959, Coin Collectors, General Information and Method of Operation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The upper housing differs from that of a prepay in that a polarized electromagnet is used rather than a nonpolarized one.

The nonpolarized electromagnet in the prepay set allows nickels to bypass the holding latch regardless of the direction of current flow, once dial tone is obtained. In postpay sets, the polarized electromagnet causes the line current to move the arm into the channel, except when current is reversed after the called party (on a non-free call) answers.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Perfect, thanks.  That explains exactly what I am experiencing when i drop coins or move the coin vane.  This is the perfect payphone to hook up to my house lines without any modifications - it works and by moving the coin vane I can decide if I want the coins to drop in the coin vault, or the coin return slot.  I'm very happy with my first working payphone. 
Dave

Phonesrfun

This is all good information.  Sounds like wds has a neat phone on his hands.  This postpay method is a lot simpler than the complex double relay on the AE semi-postpay model, which I recall, uses current reversal to work.
-Bill G

xhausted110

AE postpay is even simpler than this, on AE postpay when the polarity reverses on answer (all step-by-step lines and some ATAs do this) it cuts off the mouth and/or ear piece until you deposit the initial rate. I've been looking for one of these for a while because they require no conversion to work with asterisk.
- Evan