News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 2C2 Type Coin telephone Set

Started by Jf510, January 18, 2015, 03:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESalter

C types were convertible between coin first and dialtone first operation.  D types were dialtone first only.  I've handled tons of payphones with "1C" markings that were converted to D types inside.  I came across a pair of panel phones like yours that were also in the original boxes.  The boxes were marked 2C2 in ink, but had 2D2 written in magic marker next to it.  The phones themselves were Ds inside and were still marked 2C2 inside and out.  It isn't a big difference, C type parts are older and harder to find, is all.  The chassis board and totalizer are the only parts that make the difference.

---Eric

Jf510

Hi..I finally got that T wrench and was able to open the phone up. I will enclose some pictures. I didn't see any indication if it's a 2C2 or 2D2 but you can probably tell. You also said to get it to work connect the "T and R terminals on the chassis board, it will work like a normal phone".  The inside is more complicated than what I am used to so where exactly is the location of the T & R terminals. Thanks

HarrySmith

I am not a payphone guru but it looks pretty good in there. Also seems to be matching dates, everything I see is from 1984. Nice!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

The photos show that there's a CF -  DTF switch on the front of the 1A Totalizer for Coin First or Dial Tone First.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jf510

ESalter

It's a C type.  I have to say I'm really surprised.  I don't think I've seen any C type parts dated that late before.

---Eric

ESalter

I forgot to say, on the chassis board(right under the network) there are two sets of screw terminals on a yellow plastic block, then another set that are connected to the actual frame of the chassis board.  Those are the R, T, and G terminals.  You can hook your line to R and T. 

Jf510

Hey Eric....I connected the line cord where you said to and it works perfect. Thanks so much for your help.

ESalter

You bet.  Just keep in mind that phone has a mechanical totalizer, so if you feed it money the totalizer will just keep stepping forward and never get reset.  I don't know if that will cause problems or not.  Also, the coins will sit in the hopper behind the coin relay and pile up until you activate(or carefully push by hand) the coin relay to dump them to either the vault or coin return.

---Eric

Jf510

Thanks for that info. I think to be safe I will not put any coins in it at all. It's funny that when I first plugged it into the phone jack it made a buzzing or clicking sound but when I hit the receiver a few times it stopped and then I plugged it in and out a few times but it didn't do that anymore. The dial tone came up right away.

Jf510

Eric or anyone else..do you know where I can get an instruction or information card that goes in that blank space that's in the middle of the phone and below the dial? Also do you happen to know the part number of the upper lock for the main door and the lower lock for the door where the cash box goes. Thanks

Dan F

It's defenatly a C type phone. If you are going to use it on a regular phone line I would suggest putting "D" stuff in it.

I happen to have "D" stuff I would be willing to trade for the "C" stuff. This would include all the information to convert it to D.

A "D" series telephone works like a regular dial tone first phone. it was mandated in the early 80's for people to be able to dial emergency services without putting any money in the phone.

The C stuff consists of the main chassis and the totalizer.

poplar1

Should work (other than coin function) on a POTS or other line without modification. It would be a shame to modify it by changing out parts since it is 100% original.

trainman

Put the switch on the totalizer to DTF and it will work.

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on February 02, 2015, 12:04:03 AM
Like your tagline~ Its not a restoration, its a renovation!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001