"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Please verify AE34A3B? Update:AE34A3A

Started by cloyd, August 16, 2015, 05:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on August 17, 2015, 09:31:01 PM
I don't believe in the "development" hypothesis per se, but surely they must have considered the experience with all variant for the design of the Type 40.

No, I don't any longer either. I think the AE 34A3A was intended as a compatible offering for AE 34A3 users. In the end, it was not a success and the AE 34A3B replaced it.

Experience with the handle of the AE 34A3A probably convinced AE not to use it for the 40

Jack

wds

Although I have no proof, I believe these came out after the model 40, fitted with a carry handle to use up old shells.  Never throw anything away? 
Dave

Jack Ryan

1934:  4055
1937:  4055A
1939:                You mentioned 1939 - I wondered if that was the year of 4055B. I don't have one.
1940:  4055C
1944:  4055D

Quote from: unbeldi on August 17, 2015, 09:36:58 PM
Do you have PDF files?

Yes, it is not a good copy. I don't know where it came from so I hope I am not betraying someone's trust...

Jack

Jack Ryan

Is there a PDF version of 4033?

Jack

stub

Here you go-       http://tinyurl.com/ld88z7d           stub

The 4055 A is mine or Terrys' can't remember when we or me posted it ;D
Kenneth Stubblefield

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on August 17, 2015, 09:49:13 PM
1934:  4055
1937:  4055A
1939:                You mentioned 1939 - I wondered if that was the year of 4055B. I don't have one.
1940:  4055C
1944:  4055D

Quote from: unbeldi on August 17, 2015, 09:36:58 PM
Do you have PDF files?

Yes, it is not a good copy. I don't know where it came from so I hope I am not betraying someone's trust...

Jack

Thanks much!
I can't keep track of where I get my files from either. It would take a full-time librarian.

Quality is good enough for information, nice to have but it sure doesn't provide any drastically new info.

unbeldi

The dial in Tina's telephone seems to be a No. 51, I think.
So this was a replacement in the 1950s, perhaps along with the black rubber cords.

No. 51 is probably also supported by the type of number card installed on the dial.  This has the two-line medium height printing area (1950), the larger one came out in 1955. Before 1950 there was only room for one line of print.

Tina:  Is there a date on the paper label around the cord?

unbeldi

I posted a topic in the wiring diagram section with the circuit diagram for these telephone types and some discussion of the circuit.

Here is a linked image of the circuit, which also shows the difference between the sets for grounded ringing vs. metallic ringing.

cloyd

Quote from: wds on August 17, 2015, 08:33:40 PM
You decide.  You could keep your existing handset and a very nice phone for cheap, or for another $40 or so you could have a real beauty.
Stub,
After looking around on the internet, I have only found one type-38 handset at opw for $112 + shipping.  Do you know of other sources for these handsets?  I would like it to have the chrome rings to match the chrome finger wheel.  I will put it in the classified ads under wanted here at CRP.

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on August 18, 2015, 05:01:39 PM
Quote from: wds on August 17, 2015, 08:33:40 PM
You decide.  You could keep your existing handset and a very nice phone for cheap, or for another $40 or so you could have a real beauty.
Stub,
After looking around on the internet, I have only found one type-38 handset at opw for $112 + shipping.  Do you know of other sources for these handsets?  I would like it to have the chrome rings to match the chrome finger wheel.  I will put it in the classified ads under wanted here at CRP.

Tina

Well, patience is a virtue!  ;D

These kind of items rarely show up right when you think you need them.  I would be patient and set up an automatic search on eBay.  Sometimes they show up for less than you expect, but you have to be patient.  I would not call them rare.
Often I see one with some other "junk" as a bundle, I think a couple of weeks ago there was one and the whole pile was less than $30.

cloyd

Quote from: unbeldi on August 17, 2015, 10:14:17 PM
So this was a replacement in the 1950s, perhaps along with the black rubber cords.

No. 51 is probably also supported by the type of number card installed on the dial.  This has the two-line medium height printing area (1950), the larger one came out in 1955. Before 1950 there was only room for one line of print.

Sorry, no date on the paper label.

If the phone has a No. 51 dial, what does the 60-C and 43 printed on the back of the dial mean?

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on August 18, 2015, 06:36:02 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on August 17, 2015, 10:14:17 PM

Sorry, no date on the paper label.

If the phone has a No. 51 dial, what does the 60-C and 43 printed on the back of the dial mean?

Tina

I don't know, and I haven't read that anyone else really knows.
A lot of time gets spent decoding a lot of these marks that companies put on their devices.  Many we just don't know, especially those by the independents.  The Bell System had an amazing system of documentation, and we still don't know some of their codes either.

rdelius

When I posted photos of my set, I could not find this information in my files.Copied from Telephony or Telephone Engineering and Management 1938.Did not write down the exact date- This was 25 years ago
The type 40 might have been a few months sooner

unbeldi

Quote from: rdelius on September 05, 2015, 12:17:49 PM
When I posted photos of my set, I could not find this information in my files.Copied from Telephony or Telephone Engineering and Management 1938.Did not write down the exact date- This was 25 years ago
The type 40 might have been a few months sooner

Excellent find!  Thanks for posting.