"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Princess-won't ring

Started by PSGreg, December 26, 2008, 04:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSGreg

Hi Guys,
                   For several years I've owned/used an aqua blue WE Princess Model 702B that works fine to dial out and receive calls, it also lights properly and the night light function is in proper working order too.  However, it has never rung on an incoming call.  With my new found success in getting my Stromberg-Carlson to work, I feel it's time to tackle this issue as well.
   I believe the phone dates from 1969.  I've determined this from the only date coded piece inside (the ringer itself) which is stamped in red ink "11/69".
   Can you recommend a good starting point?
Thanks again,
                       Greg

McHeath

Go here and check out the wiring diagram:

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/702b.pdf

It might be a simple problem of something disconnected or messed with. 

PSGreg

McHeath,
                     Thanks for the link.  That proved to be the cure.  I found an erroneously placed ringer wire, re-routed it to its proper location and , Bingo! it works as designed.

That makes two successful repairs in one week.  I think I'm on a roll  :D
Best,
          Greg

Dan/Panther

Grg;
This is the point that I would sit back and enjoy the fruits of my two successes, because sure as the sun comes up, you'll make a mistake that will overshadow the progress.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Great!  Glad to help.  It is pretty interesting how many old phones have had their internal wiring monkeyed with at some point.  Shutting off the ringer was an old trick to fake out the phone company so that you could have an illegal extension phone and not have to pay for it.  

PSGreg

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 26, 2008, 02:44:27 PM
Grg;
This is the point that I would sit back and enjoy the fruits of my two suscesses, because sure as the sun comes up, you'll make a mistake that will overshadow the progress.
D/P

Ha Ha!  Been there. Done that........and expect to again.