and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cisco Support for Pulse Dialling

Started by Jack Ryan, September 09, 2020, 01:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

Does anyone know for certain if:

Any Cisco ATAs support pulse dialling?

If the Cisco SPA122 supports pulse dialling?

If yes, how good is the support? Does the dial need to be exactly on spec etc?

Thanks

Jack

countryman

I found discouraging comments about the SPA122, but nothing definite.
A number of AVM VOIP routers handles pulse dialling fairly well. Not sure if they were ever distributed outside Europe?
Here's a list compiled by a swiss collector:
http://www.ptt-apparate.ch/IWV-Router/IWV-Router.html

This equipment often goes for cheap in used condition, but postage might be the killer. AVM never advertised or specified pulse dialling and will not support customers having issues with it, but it basically works.

Jack Ryan

Thanks for that. There is a fellow in Australia that says his SPA122 accepts pulse dialling but he is the only one. I haven't had any Cisco or Linksys ATA that worked with pulse dialling. I even came across a YouTube video where a fellow had a DialGizmo connected to an SPA122.

I wondered if if the Australian fellow had nonstandard firmware.

Regards
Jack

dsk

Quote from: Jack Ryan on September 09, 2020, 04:30:24 AM
Thanks for that. There is a fellow in Australia that says his SPA122 accepts pulse dialling but he is the only one. I haven't had any Cisco or Linksys ATA that worked with pulse dialling. I even came across a YouTube video where a fellow had a DialGizmo connected to an SPA122.

I wondered if if the Australian fellow had nonstandard firmware.

Regards
Jack

I took the risk, and bought one, mine does not support rotary.   :'( dsk

Jack Ryan

Quote from: dsk on September 18, 2020, 05:48:39 AM
I took the risk, and bought one, mine does not support rotary.   :'( dsk

Sorry about that Dsk. I had decided not to buy one just to check because they are not cheap enough.

The fellow here still insists that his accepts pulse dialling but now says it has older firmware. I asked what version but he hasn't responded.

I haven't used any Cisco or LinkSys ATAs that support pulse dialling and I haven't found anyone else to confirm than any do.

Regards
Jack

dsk

I got a used one, but probably not old enough  :)
I like the setup of this one, but older software are not available so I guess I have to use a pulse-tone converter.
dsk

Jack Ryan

Quote from: dsk on September 18, 2020, 07:06:50 AM
I got a used one, but probably not old enough  :)
I like the setup of this one, but older software are not available so I guess I have to use a pulse-tone converter.
dsk

Or a tone phone.

Jack

countryman

What's special about these? Why would they be preferable compared to a (known) pulse capable VOIP router?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on September 18, 2020, 08:02:09 AM
What's special about these? Why would they be preferable compared to a (known) pulse capable VOIP router?

Nothing except that a fellow was recommending them to others on FB as something that supports pulse dialling that could be used with old phones. I queried the pulse support.

Jack

dsk

Quote from: countryman on September 18, 2020, 08:02:09 AM
For me it has with cost to do, non of those pulse supporting ATA's are available in my country to reasonable cost, and shipping from abroad + VAT + customs make it "impossible" to get.   I may probably buy more than 5 dialgizmos shipping included for the cost of a new ATA on that list. :'(
dsk
Added info: price approx 330 euro or $390 for the 7490, new here all inclusive.   All import has a VAT + tax costs of 30-50% of all costs included shipping, and on to, a flat fee of approx 18 Euro. No lower limit on value.

countryman

The AVM "Fritz!Boxes"  frequently appear really cheap on the German eBay, and fit a small package easily. Not sure about customs for used items below 30 € or so?
I paid well over 200 € for my 7490 new in a local retail store about 3 years ago, money well spent though. I wanted to buy a cheap router as my old cheap router had quit. The sales person recommended the Fritzbox and when he mentioned I could still use my old phones and fax if I ever should go the VOIP route he had convinced me...
My provider wanted the VOIP migration soon after and all worked out fine.

Edit, it was checking out the router's abilities what made getting my old dial phones out of storage, and then wanting more...
In fact I started collecting after the provider migrated me...

ka1axy

My solution was to buy one of those inline converters, "Dialgizmo" brand, and put it between the house wiring (after the protector, of course) and the ATA (OOMA Teleo).  It's been 9 mos and it's still working fine.

YMMV, as always