News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phones on Antiques Roadshow UK

Started by FABphones, November 08, 2019, 05:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This link was posted on TCI, thought some here might be interested to see it too.

First thing I noticed was the valuer replaced that handset on the Jade 300 series phone a tad firmly. Clunk - chip.
Just my thoughts, but he needs to swot up a bit too, amongst the phones taken in was a '1950's candlestick'.     .....I was willing the collector to speak up, fill in the gaps and explain what he knew to be correct.

Nice phones.

View from about 20:18:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=1276s&v=NmDfUe1oxRE

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

It's funny watching the appraiser explaining simple facts about the phones, with it being apparent that the owner could do the factual commentary as well or better.  I bet those technical antiques are like being on television with animals.  They steal the attention with ease.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

CanadianGuy

Quote from: FABphones on November 08, 2019, 05:48:37 AM...the valuer replaced that handset on the Jade 300 series phone a tad firmly. Clunk - chip.

I'm surprised to hear you say that, because I thought he put it down softer than most people would have back in the day  :)

FABphones

Quote from: CanadianGuy on November 14, 2019, 07:41:33 PM
I'm surprised to hear you say that, because I thought he put it down softer than most people would have back in the day  :)

Very true. But back then they were worthless and chucked into skips by the hundred. Now it is worth a few bob, and they can't take the knocks like they used to.

:)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble