News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Desk Speaker

Started by Konrad, January 06, 2009, 10:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konrad

Was it just a desk speaker and you still talked into the handset?  Did WE ever make a speaker phone that worked with the 500 or 2500 that had good audio quality?

Thanks,

Konrad

bingster

I've seen them used in 1960s era movies, and they spoke into the speaker (and listened to it, too).  I don't know how the speaker was turned on though, or what the procedure was to answer a call, or what happened after dialing a number.

I can only remember the name of one movie off the top of my head in which one of these is used, and that's "Glass-Bottomed Boat" with Doris Day and Rod Taylor.
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

just like Charlie's Angels

HobieSport

Quote from: bingster
I've seen them used in 1960s era movies, and they spoke into the speaker (and listened to it, too).  I don't know how the speaker was turned on though, or what the procedure was to answer a call, or what happened after dialing a number.

I can only remember the name of one movie off the top of my head in which one of these is used, and that's "Glass-Bottomed Boat" with Doris Day and Rod Taylor.

I like how you used the word "prodedure".  And Doris Day.  Please don't mention anymore.

bingster

Shucks, I was just gettin' started.  ;D
= DARRIN =

Perry

I have no idea what the real value of that set should be. It looks like there are no takers at $150, anyway.

Bill

I'm pretty sure the answer can be found on the Bell System Memorial site. If I get a chance, I'll look through it later today.

My own memory says that the user both talked and listened through the speaker - you had to hang up the handset to activate the speaker. Another memory, somewhat less crystal-clear (!) is that you could answer an incoming call by hitting a button on the speaker or a little control box - no need to lift the handset.

Bill