News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg-Carlson 1212ADH

Started by Ed Morris, August 04, 2017, 03:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

I recently found a very nice Stromberg-Carlson Fatboy, Model 1212ADH on eBay.  The telephone arrived in a relative clean condition from the seller.  The body and handset are free of scratches, chips, or other defects, and everything cleaned up nicely with Novus 2.   The phone was sold as untested, but I got a dial tone when I tested it, but no ring.  I checked the ringer, and it's a 66.6 Hz ringer.  It does work, with a very nice chime.

I removed the AE dial and serviced it, and replaced the dial card.   The handset cord which was badly dry-rotted, so I replaced it with another I had on hand.  The line cord was in good condition.  The rubber bumper around the bottom is somewhat brittle, so I did not try removing it.

I was favorably impressed with the build quality of the phone, and it works very well, with good audio quality.  If I can find a straight line ringer for it with the same chime tone as the 66 Hz ringer, I might replace the WE 302 I currently have on my desk.

The transmitter is marked 205784  130
Receiver: P.34230 X
Network: 45-A
Ringer: 59H 147, 66.6Hz
Dial: Automatic Electric, marked 50S 211

I didn't see any date stamps on it, so I don't know when it might have been built.

Ed

Ed Morris

Actually, there is one number that might be a date, there's a "446" just above the model number on the inside of the base plate.  Could this be an April, 1946, build date?  I thought I had read that the Fatboy wasn't made after the war.  I have also added some images of the inside of the phone.

Ed

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Ed Morris on August 04, 2017, 03:45:16 PM
Actually, there is one number that might be a date, there's a "446" just above the model number on the inside of the base plate.  Could this be an April, 1946, build date?  I thought I had read that the Fatboy wasn't made after the war.  I have also added some images of the inside of the phone.
I think based on what unbeldi said about the 1583 speakerphone that it would mean 46th week of 1944.

Yes, I think these sets have much thicker housings, like the AE products rather than the paper thin Kellogg Bakelite sets that crack if you look at them wrong.  ;D

HarrySmith

There are reproduction base gaskets available. One of the list members sells them. If you are interested I'm sure one of us can come up with his name & email. Escapes me right now.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ed Morris

Ed

Alex G. Bell

Pourme

Gary gas helped me out more than once...Great products and very reasonable pricing.  I am jealous of your Fat Boy...that's one on my list I have yet to acquire!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Ed Morris

I'm curious about the 66 Hz ringer in this phone.  The ringer is a 59H, but should be a 57H.  Which model phone would the 59H ringer have come from?  I'd like to find a 57A ringer, but it seems like that might be a hard ringer to find.

Ed

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Ed Morris on August 05, 2017, 10:15:26 AM
I'm curious about the 66 Hz ringer in this phone.  The ringer is a 59H, but should be a 57H.  Which model phone would the 59H ringer have come from?  I'd like to find a 57A ringer, but it seems like that might be a hard ringer to find.
59 type ringers are shown used in the 1211 set, whose details can be found in a 1942 catalog telephone sets excerpt in the TCI library. 

It seems from a quick perusal that every telephone set used a different ringer.  With 4 or 5 different ringer frequencies plus straight line it seems puzzlingly inefficient and costly to customers to have a different ringer type for each telephone set type.  The 1243, 1212, 1211 and others all have different ringer codes.

Ed Morris

Thanks.  Looks like there might be some interchandeability among the various ringer models.  I may be able to locate a straight line ringer from a different model, hopefully one with the nice chime sound,
Ed

unbeldi

From the apparent difference in manufacturing stamps between the base plate and the ringer, it appears that the ringer was replaced either in the field or in refurbishing, but probably in the field, as the ringer appears older than the base.   I don't have any catalogs of the post-war years to see whether they consolidated the ringer series between the 1211 and 1212 telsets, but I think none were made anymore after the war, and I doubt 59-series ringer were made anymore in 1951.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Ed Morris on August 05, 2017, 04:12:59 PM
Thanks.  Looks like there might be some interchangeability among the various ringer models.
You're welcome. 

I suppose there is or how could yours have a #57 instead of #59?  Perhaps the only difference is the code #.
QuoteI may be able to locate a straight line ringer from a different model, hopefully one with the nice chime sound,
I'd expect the gongs to be the same for all unless the size changes due to space constraints and that is the difference between different codes but then why wouldn't they have just used the smallest gongs for all?

Maybe you can find the full S-C 1942 catalog on TCI and find a page with ringer details.

Ed Morris

I do have the 1942 catalogue.  Thanks!
Ed

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Ed Morris on August 05, 2017, 09:41:53 PM
I do have the 1942 catalogue.  Thanks!
You're welcome!  Pls let us know what you figure out.

Ed Morris

I found a working 65-C ringer, but I couldn't find any data on it.  I assume it's an SC ringer as it looks exactly like my 59H.  It may possibly be a straight-line ringer, but I'm not sure.  Anyone familiar with it?
Ed