News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to remove a stuck housing on a WE 302

Started by Jon Kolger, June 18, 2017, 11:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Kolger

I am sure this has been discussed many times before. I have never had much luck using the search feature on the forum.  I have a WE 302 that has shrunk down enough that I cannot get the housing off the base. It is a Pre-war colored set, so I don't want to damage it.  How do I find previous discussions of this topic? Or conversely, I welcome any suggestions.

LarryInMichigan

Gently heating the bottom edges of the shell with a hair dryer can be very helpful.  Putting some sort of non-reactive lubricant between the base and the shell can make it easier to slide the shell.  Once the shell is off, I tap the edges of the metal base with a plastic tip hammer to bend the metal inward so that the shell will fit easily over the base again.

I was under the impression that the pre-war colored 302 were all painted metal.

Larry

unbeldi

The "pre-war" cellulose acetate housings are even more shrinkage prone than those of 1949 and later.

I think a safe method is to subject the set to uniformly warm air.  People have had good success by placing the sets in closed cars or trunks without direct exposure to the rays, it is a suitable season for that method now.   CA expands more than the metal base.  However, some cellulosics start softening beyond 130 ˚F.  Softening might cause collapse of structures, due to accumulate internal stresses.

unbeldi

I have two or so 1941 plastic housings that I couldn't get back onto a base, even after bending and grinding the corners of the base plate. In fact, I have late 1940s black one as well, that wouldn't fit anymore after crack repair.

Jon Kolger

I haven't done anything with this set yet, but I will keep you posted.  It is such a mint phone, possibly NOS, that I just don't want to damage it  This one  is ivory, with one of those early thermoplastic dial blanks that has a built-in retainer ring for the dial card.

unbeldi

Would love to see pics of that mint one.

Is there any evidence of warping ?

Sargeguy

I have had a lot of success putting them in the oven on warm for 10 minutes (don't forget the timer).  I wouldn't necessarily try this with a valuable phone, however.  If you do crack the oven door to release some of the heat. I have also put them on top of my furnace and cast iron radiators. Leaving them on the hood of your car in the sun might also help.  The idea is to heat the bottom of the phone so that some of the heat transfers to the surrounding plastic and makes it flexible, not to heat the entire housing.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

I think heating the entire housing evenly is exactly what is best.   Heating only the bottom creates additional stress between the warmer and colder parts.  You want to heat and cool as slowly as possible with no metal close by or touching.

Jon Kolger

Here are a couple of photos.  The dial card is something I cut down to size to get it to fit in the smaller opening.  There is no sign of wear or warping.  The cords are perfect

TelePlay