La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

19and41

Sorta takes your breath away, doesn't it?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Wild guess here...brace yourselves...

...driving recklessly?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Pourme

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 15, 2016, 04:20:13 PM
Wild guess here...brace yourselves...

...driving recklessly?

Odds are...a cell phone was involved....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

twocvbloke

I'm willing to bet the driver said those mortal words beforehand, "Watch this!!!", the universal key to leaving this life in a hurry...

19and41

That reminds me....

— Arthur C. Clarke

Ktownphoneco

The collision occurred in 2005 in NJ.    The driver was a 58 year old male, who was killed, probably instantly.   Cell phone involved ?   Maybe, but text messaging wasn't really in issue an 2005, but pre-occupied with cell phone call, as said, maybe.    The photo has been used by a number of web sites as an example of what happens when someone is using a cell phone for text messaging.    The Snopes web site says that's "BS", and very unlikely in 2005.   There's also one web site that claims the 58 year driver was racing a Ford Cobra at the time of the collision, but it doesn't explain why the driver drove off the pavement and onto the shoulder striking the stopped tractor trailer.     I'd put money on "highway hypnosis" or "falling asleep" behind the wheel.

Jeff Lamb

19and41

A corvette is easy to lose track of when pressed.  If one comes across a sudden curve, it would be very easy to be out on the edge of the road in short order, with enough velocity to cause the impact shown.  The driver probably had just enough time to start tensing up before colliding.  Such tender moments on the road are why I have never cared to own one.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Dan/Panther

Is it an illusion or is that the guys arm ?
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Fabius

Quote from: 19and41 on August 15, 2016, 05:23:39 PM
Such tender moments on the road are why I have never cared to own one.

I've owned two corvettes. A 1989 and a 2000. My wife and I loved them but sold the last one we had (the 2000) because we were at the point where touring was more more important then horsepower. So about 8 years ago we bought a Mazda Miata. We really enjoy that car. Classic design and handles great. But now we have to find something different because the Miata is too low for my wife to get into and out of easily. So it's up for sale and when sold we will replace it with a BMW 300 series convertible.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 16, 2016, 11:41:06 AM
Is it an illusion or is that the guys arm ?
Dan

I don't think it's an illusion. Also look at the bottom center of the back of the trailer, I'm pretty sure I see a blood splatter.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

I grew up in a little town with a Chevrolet dealer, and as a small child would go up and walk around the lot looking at the Corvettes It was around the split window fastback period.  The salesmen would let us be, as long we didn't touch them.  Then we would go to the Standard station that had the wrecker service and look at the Corvettes that had met their immovable objects and marvel at how they could leave so little after a crash and that there was no blood on anything.
— Arthur C. Clarke