News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Fiddleback with dial

Started by wds, November 17, 2013, 04:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Just purchased this fiddleback.  The dial seems original to the phone, not added.  Does anyone know if these would have been issued with dials new from the factory?   Model # on the back is 5193.  Number on the label is 3380K.

Dave

Sargeguy

I think the fiddleback was obsolete by the time dials came along.  How big is the hole?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Dave

G-Man

Diagram looks like it was printed by a refurbisher such as TRS.

They may have sold them to desperate telcos during the Depression or WWII.

Sargeguy

Ouch.  If it were me I would try to restore it.  I love fiddlebacks.  The shelf is three pieces of wood.  The front part is the trickiest to replicate and that is still intact, the other two pieces would be relatively simple if you could find a router bit that matched the edge.  Or better yet find an entirely new shelf.  I was able to find one for a Western Electric 301A I restored, so it might be worth a shot.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Quote from: wds on November 17, 2013, 07:05:26 PM
Hole is a hair under 3".
Dave...I think the dial was an after add. That being said, I think the phone has style with it. The diagrams shows a dial, so it was sold that way. Does it work? I'd clean it up and display it proudly. Not everything fits into an exact mold. A lot was done to telephones after they left the factory....Doug
Kidphone

wds

I definitely like it with the dial.  A little different than my other fiddlebacks, and it still has some historical significance with the added dial.  It's in really nice shape, so it's a keeper. 
Dave

Jim Stettler

I suspect a war shortage set. I would leave it as it is.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

wds

It would be nice to know a date for the refurb.  Poor mans phone I suspect.
Dave

poplar1

No dial sets are shown in Kellogg's 1943 War Time Catalog#300  for rebuilt sets.

http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/kellogg/kellogg_main.htm

However, diagram does not look like T.R.&S.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7473.0

By the way, the non-dial version of this fiddleback as well as dial desk stands, grabaphones, and metal wall phones are included in the 1926 Kellogg Catalog #7. So the fiddleback was not necessarily obsolete by the time Kellogg was manufacturing dial phones. However, the phones shown in the 1926 catalog had the small Kellogg dial, not the 3" AE dial on this set.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

As I stated earlier,

QuoteDiagram looks like it was printed by a refurbisher such as TRS.
They may have sold them to desperate telcos during the Depression or WWII.

The diagram certainly looks similar to those pasted in a dozen or so of the instruments in our collection, which were refurbished by Dan and his crew, but that is not the point; it could have been printed by any of the other dozens of refurbishers that were in business at the time.

Through the years diagrams pasted in Dan Mac(kenzie) rebuilds varied greatly but as I said it looks like it was printed by a refurbisher such as TRS.

The best way to date it might be to attempt to determine the date of the dial but even that is not a sure thing.

rdelius

Diagram looks like AE-Autelco.Look for a circled AR stamped somewhere.Is dial AE or a Kellogg copy of an AE?.During the wwll years there was a shortage of civilian telephone sets so old obsolete parts and junk would have been refurbished

G-Man

Quote from: rdelius on November 17, 2013, 10:08:09 PM
Diagram looks like AE-Autelco.Look for a circled AR stamped somewhere.Is dial AE or a Kellogg copy of an AE?.During the wwll years there was a shortage of civilian telephone sets so old obsolete parts and junk would have been refurbished

I would have expected them to have their full name printed on the label to remind the telco who to place future orders with though it could very well have been refurbished by Autelco since they, along with Stromberg Carlson, Kellogg and others had refurbishing departments during the Depression and World War Two.

However, as part of the refurbishing process, generally they also replaced the transmitters and receivers of their competitors with a bulldog style that was made by them. I would have expected for one of the larger manufacturers to also replace the induction coil and convert the circuit to AST.

It would appear as if this set probably was not refurbished during WWII but more likely during the Great Depression.         

G-Man

Additional...

It is stamped XR and not AR. Also take a look at the schematic; the symbol for the dial is different from what was used by A.E.

Again, identifying and dating the dial may help.       

poplar1

Kellogg in the 1943 Wartime Catalog offers different options for rebuilding customers' phones. They could be refurbished with  "standard" transmitter, "non-positional" (bulldog) transmitter, or updated with a handset. The price of course varied by which option was chosen.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.