News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Painted Number Plate?

Started by cihensley@aol.com, June 16, 2012, 05:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

Does anyone else think this appears to be carefully re-painted?   http://tinyurl.com/89nje32

Chuck

wds

not a terribly bad paint job, but definitely touched up.  The 6 & 7 give it away.

Dave

TelePlay

I've been looking at these wondering what the reserve number is.

Well, I'd say mostly no, if not all no.

I've been trying to touch up numbers on a porcelain 302 dial plate and it's not easy. I use a 30x loupe and the finest pointed brush I could buy at the local art supply store using acrylic enamel. It's not easy at all.

I took a copy of the full dial plate and blew it up in PhotoShop. The numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 have not been "touched" up. They show even discoloration over each number. Number 6, 7 might have been but if so, done very well. There may be one or two edges that are "uneven" but the rest of the numbers are uniform and consistent with 1 to 5. 8 and 9 look very good and evenly colored. The "0" shows discoloration but not much and it's even across the number.

The letters are all evenly black but a few, very few, have just a part of the edge that is uneven that "may" be from a minor touch up but I don't think so.

It is very difficult to touch up these numbers and unless this seller has the original stamping equipment used to letter and number these dials, I'd say it is original, and in very good shape except for chipped porcelain around the center hole.

Here is the high resolution photo from the listing. Maybe someone can see something I can't, someone who has touched up letters and numbers. To me, this plate looks original. But it would be nice to have a photo of a verified unretoouched dial to compare this one with.

Doug Rose

I think the 6 7 and the lower left half of the 8 has been touched up. Better job than I could ever do, but still touched up. High Kite Flyer usually has some high end items. A good unnotched plate can be worth more than the #2 itself, IMHO....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

BTW, this is the dial plate I've been "practicing" on with limited success to date in its unretouched original state.

It's just practice trying to get good at the art, if I ever will. Lot of paint applied, and removed, and applied, and removed, etc.

Anyone have any tips they would like to send to me by way of PM, other than buy an overlay?  :-\