News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do you know what type of subset to get?

Started by ntophones, November 05, 2009, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

Hello, I haven't received my D1 phone yet, but, I was wondering how to tell what subset to get for it?
What would you suggest?
--nto

bingster

The common anti-sidetone subsets for a 202 are the 634 and 684.  The 634 is a large steel box, while the 684 is much smaller and thinner with a bakelite cover.  The 684, being smaller and more inconspicuous tends to go for higher prices than the big 634, but with a little patience, you can fine either one for around $50.

If sidetone isn't a concern, you can use a 534 or 584 subset.  Same deal as the 6XX subsets... 534 is in a big metal case, 584 is the smaller bakelite subset. 
= DARRIN =

ntophones

What would you think of this one?
180429025855 on ebay?
--nto

bingster

I think that's a very, very nice subset.  Given the high starting price, it may deter some bidders, making it possible that you might get that one fairly easily. 
= DARRIN =

ntophones

Well, the price is certainly getting up there.
I wonder what you think of this from Gary Schneider?

I have W.E. 300 phone base with reproduction
plastic cover - basically same as a W.E. 684 with
W.E. 101A induction coil, ringer bell and caps.
Requires a 4 conductor cord to phone - $57.50
--nto

Phonesrfun

nto:

That would function well as a subset.  What it comprises is a 302 base than has a cover made probably by Ray Kotke.  The 302 base makes a good subset, and it is, electrically the same as a 684 subset, and is antisidetone.  In fact, I once made a subset from a 302, myself and used a Ray Kotke cover.  I think the cover cost me around $35 or $40.

If you were not concerned about the looks, just a 302 base would work just fine without a cover, and those can be gotten for pretty cheap.  I think the thing that is keeping the one you are talking about over the $50 range is the cost to him for the cover.

PS:  About combining the threads....Dennis is an avid reader of the threads, so he will see that we have been discussing it.  You can also send him a personal message through the forum.  If he is on, he will see it then for sure.

-Bill G

ntophones

Thanks for the quick response. The subset on EBay goes off in a little bit.
--nto

Dennis Markham

Those covers by Ray Kotke are now either $20 or $25, plus of course shipping.  I have a couple of them, one in black and one in Ivory and they make a rreally  nice "subset".  The nice thing about them is that because of the 302 foot pads on the base, they can sit on the table and the phone can sit atop of it to save space---or not.  It's a nice alternative.  But the are not "original".  They look very similar to the 684 subset.  I think I've posted photos on here before.

Here's one of the postings with photos:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=349.msg3134#msg3134

Phonesrfun

I guess I am going to have to take a look at Ray's prices again.  Looks like they have come down some.  I bought mine probably 3 years ago.  The ivory would look great for my Imperial.

I have a few 302 bases too.  So, nto, if you come up needing to go that route, I can sell you one for cheap.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Bill, Ray posted something a while back that he had acquired some help in his shp and was producing these.  I think he had black for $20 and Ivory for $25.  When I spoke with him at the Mason, MI TCI show in April he had no more left and didn't have a plan when he'd be making more.  But since then he began producing them again.  Or as I write this maybe he was just making them in black and had increased the price to $25.  I bought two from him a couple of years ago for $20 each--again at the phone show.

Dennis Markham

I just checked the information Ray posted on the TCI in May.  He wrote this at that time:

We have also cast a FEW in Ivory too. Additionally, we have a few
replacement Western Electric 584/684 subset covers too, in BLACK and IVORY.

Prices are as follows:

302 subset Cover - BLACK $20 + shipping
IVORY $25 + shipping

Western Electric 584/684 Cover - BLACK - $22.00 + shipping
IVORY - $25.00 + shipping

Shipping is via USPS Priority, and I can fit -6- of the 684 covers into a
regular, flat-rate box. Single covers ship in the small Priority box for
about $5.00 for 1 pc.

Ray Kotke
http://telephonecreations.com

ntophones

--nto

ntophones

Bill,
How much would you be willing to sell one for? Will it fit in a flat rate box?
That would be WONDERFUL--I was thinking about those feet! That is very nice.
--nto

Phonesrfun

Pictures of the 302 base
-Bill G