News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Some of My Radios

Started by LarryInMichigan, January 15, 2015, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Nice looking radio.  Another nice stage for the theater of the mind.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Fabius

The Motorola 53H is one I'm looking for.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

LarryInMichigan

Arvin 542T c.1950

LarryInMichigan

Majestic 651 (c.1937).  I replaced the grill cloth with an improvised piece.

Larry

jsowers

It has a beautiful case. Is it mottled Bakelite or is it some kind of early plastic? It's held up well. Almost a textbook example of Art Moderne or Art Deco from the 1930s. Some of the most beautiful radio designs came from the late 1930s.

The radiomuseum site calls this one a "triple fin." I guess the knob in the middle is the tone control since the museum site says this set is AM-only. It's a little deceptive with the two-pointer round dial.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

The cabinet is mottled brown bakelite made by the Chicago Molded Products Corp.  The cabinet design certainly fits the 1930s style, which is why I really like it, though I think that I still like the style of my Delco/Belmont R-1152 (forum link) or the Belmont 6D-111 (forum link) a bit better.

The knob in the middle is the tuning knob.  The one on the right is power/volume, and the left one is a two-position tone control.

When I see modern replicas of art deco designs like these, I get a bit of possibly perverse pleasure knowing that I have the real things here.

Larry

19and41

Handsome radio!  I like that figure in the bakelite. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

LarryInMichigan

I haven't posted any pictures for a while, but here are a couple more Crosleys, a white 10-135 (1950) and a green 11-102U (1951).

Larry

19and41

Nice looking units.  It seems like those "dashboard" style radios are going up in value compared to other radios of the period.  I grew up near where Crosley made their small auto line.
— Arthur C. Clarke

LarryInMichigan

I haven't posted a radio for quite a while, but I just got and restored a TravLer T201, and it's so MCM, that I couldn't resist sharing.  This radio was listed on FB for cheap by a woman in the very trendy Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago months ago, and my friend in the city picked it up for me.  These were made in the late 1950s in several color combinations including pink on ivory and turquoise on ivory, most likely intended to go with the very popular pink and turquoise kitchens of the time.  The pink paint on the grille was badly worn, so I found some spray paint which looked like a good match and repainted it.  Here are 'before' and 'after' pictures.

Larry

19and41

Nice looking unit.  I have seen those as Travler radios, as well as CBS-Columbia badged, after they acquired Travler.
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Cool looking radio. How did you remove the yellowing from the case? Sanding, bleach, peroxide?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 11, 2021, 02:48:32 PM
Cool looking radio. How did you remove the yellowing from the case? Sanding, bleach, peroxide?

There wasn't really any discoloration on the polystyrene cabinet.  There was some dirt and smudges, but those came off with a sponge and polish.  The 'before' picture was taken by my friend in Chicago when he returned home with the radio, and the color balance is off.  The second picture I took here today, and the colors are more accurate.  For what it's worth, I used Rustoleum "Sweet Pea" color spray paint which seemed to be a pretty close match to the small amount of remaining original paint behind the volume control knob.  These radios in good condition seem to sell for $200-$300.

I did do some sanding on the cabinet to reduce the scratchyness.  It looked like someone had cleaned it with steel wool.  Polystyrene is fairly easy to sand.

Larry

oldguy

Gary