News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 c/d conv does not ring

Started by oldgold, June 19, 2012, 04:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgold

hi, I am new at trying to to refurbish phones.  I picked up a black w/e 500 c/d conv phone at an estate sale. This is my first phone I am working on, I have two more to do as i think i will enjoy this. Cleaned it up with novus 2 that I read about on here, and added a face plate to the dial. I do need to touch up specks of missing paint on the metal dial (do I touch this up with paint?). I spliced the  the cut wall cord with a modular cord, attaching the red, green and yellow wires (did nothing with the black wire from the modular plug). The phone has dial tone and can dial out!, but it does not ring on incoming calls.
I would appreciate any ideas.

DavePEI

Quote from: oldgold on June 19, 2012, 04:43:12 PM
hi, I am new at trying to to refurbish phones.  I picked up a black w/e 500 c/d conv phone at an estate sale. This is my first phone I am working on, I have two more to do as i think i will enjoy this. Cleaned it up with novus 2 that I read about on here, and added a face plate to the dial. I do need to touch up specks of missing paint on the metal dial (do I touch this up with paint?). I spliced the  the cut wall cord with a modular cord, attaching the red, green and yellow wires (did nothing with the black wire from the modular plug). The phone has dial tone and can dial out!, but it does not ring on incoming calls.
I would appreciate any ideas.
Move the black lead from the ringer which is on the yellow to under the green screw.
Your phone is set up for the old party line wiring. Yellow (ground) is no longer used.
Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

oldgold

Thanks Dave!!!
I did just what you said and it is working perfectly. It sounds so much better than today's phones. I appreciate it.
Joe

DavePEI

Quote from: oldgold on June 19, 2012, 05:48:13 PM
Thanks Dave!!!
I did just what you said and it is working perfectly. It sounds so much better than today's phones. I appreciate it.
Joe
You're Welcome!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001