News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

confirm wiring of 51AL candlestick to 334 sub box is done right

Started by Jf510, December 20, 2015, 04:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

I have one more candlestick that I want to make sure is ok. It's different than the other ones. It dials and rings fine. The only thing is on each turn of the dial when it stops it bangs and the bang as an echo in the receiver. Maybe it does this because of the age. I want my candlesticks to work well for my collection plus I want to learn. Your help is very much appreciated. This one is a 51AL with a 2AB dial and wired to a 334 ringer box. This is the wiring I did:

Receiver:          Wht to W dial
                        Grn to GN on bottom term

Transmitter:      Blk to BK dial
                        Yel to YY of switch

Dial:                  W to receiver
                         BB to BB switch
                         BK to Transmitter
                         Y to yellow of mounting cord
                         R (none)

Mounting cord in 51AL:             Yellow to Y dial
                                              Green to GN bottom term
                                              Red to R bottom term

Mounting cord in 334 ringer box:               Red to R
                                                              Green to GN
                                                              Yellow to L2/Y
Ringer:      Red to L1
                 Blk to C

Line Cord:    Red to L1
                   Grn to L2/Y

I am not sure if the following is correct so left it as I found it:

Big Condenser has red & green leads

Capacitor under terminal bord has 1,2 on one side and 3,4 on the other.

Did I do this right? Thanks.

G-Man

Are you certain you have a 334A subset? From the following description, note that it has a single-section, 21D (2uf) condenser which has only a single-pair of terminals.
334-A    -    Metal-For direct, two-party or four-party semi-selective service.
                      Includes:   1 No. 8-AG (1000-ohm biased) ringer, 1 No. 21-D condenser,
                      1 No. 20 induction coil.

G-Man

Just dawned on me that you are not describing two separate condensers, but rather, you are calling the induction-coil a condenser (capacitor).

Phonesrfun

There should also be a wire from R on the hookswitch to R on the little pad that the red deskset wire connects to.

The candlesticks have a high degree of mechanical noise that gets into the transmitter from the all metal construction.  For instance, if you tap anywhere on the metal body, you will hear it loud and clear in the receiver.  This is particularly so with a sidetone deskset.  I was explaining this to another collector recently who was also working with a 51AL.  This acoustical conduction is normal.

Providing the phone works good, and providing the receiver is turned off during the turn of the dial, you won't hear loud pops when the dial pulses the line.  However, the switch turns the receiver on just a fraction of a second before the dial returns to a full stop.  This is normal and correct.  What happens is that the receiver is turned back on just as the dial mechanically comes to a rest against its metal stop.  In addition to hearing that mechanical noise, the governor continues to make a couple of revolutions after the main shaft stops, and so you hear that too.  This is also normal.  Due to the sound conduction of the metal body, the transmitter picks it all up.  If the transmitter is an original solid back transmitter, the effect is even more harsh than if you were using a newer bull-dog transmitter that has a Bakelite (non-metal) housing and an F-1 transmitter element.

The older transmitters are also notorious for people on the other end saying that you sound "tinny" or that you sound like you are talking in a barrel.  Again, all normal.

You are experiencing the authenticity of what phones of days gone by were all about.  A lot has been improved over the last 90 to 100 years.
-Bill G

Jf510

Thanks for the response. My ringer box does say underneath 334A. I bought it from another collector who had it powdered coated so I am assuming the 334A is correct. There was over spray on the inside cover so I can't tell the markings. The inside top says condenser 21D Capacity 2MF. I don't see any marking on the coil under the wood terminal board. I also do have a lead from the R of the switch to the R on the little terminal. I forgot to include that above. The phone actually sounds pretty good for it's age. I was just curious if I did something wrong to cause the pop when the dial stops but it's minor. I mainly wanted to make sure my wiring was correct.

Phonesrfun

Other than the mechanical acoustical noise, there is a pop you will hear with a 334 or 295 subset or any subset with a single (dual purpose) capacitor  This is also normal.   Nothing can be done except to have a second capacitor in the subset.  One for talking and one for ringing.  Of course, that would not be original to a 334, but it would solve the problem and is pretty easy and inconspicuous to do. 

To test to see if this is, in fact, the pop you are hearing, try this:  Disconnect one or the other ringer wires.  Then try dialing.  If the pop goes away, then this is what is causing it.

I believe this was just normal in a single capacitor subset, and so you either live with it or do a little mod to include a second capacitor.
-Bill G

G-Man

Perhaps, along with Bill's explanation, this wiring diagram will assist you further.

Jf510

I removed one of the ringer wires and the noise was still there when dialing. As I mention before its not a big deal but I wanted to make sure my wiring on the 334 was correct. I will check out that other wiring diagram. Thanks

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Jf510 on December 20, 2015, 04:19:48 PMThe only thing is on each turn of the dial when it stops it bangs and the bang as an echo in the receiver.

If you watch the fingerwheel as it returns, does it actually appear to make a slight 'bounce' at the end of it's travel before coming to rest?  If so, the bang/echo could be a mechanical problem with the dial rather than wiring.
Cliff

Jf510

I do notice that when the dial stops turning it does make a noise just after. I oiled the dial a while back so I am not sure what to do next if it is mechanical.

Phonesrfun

Without hearing it, nobody can say for sure, but as I said before, the sticks have a high degree of acoustic noise from the way they are designed/built.
-Bill G