News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302's were plentiful today

Started by persido, October 20, 2013, 01:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

Yes there is a date on the shell Sargeguy, it's from 1946.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Quote from: persido on November 15, 2013, 02:48:38 PM
Yes there is a date on the shell Sargeguy, it's from 1946.
Persidio.....I have never seen a date on a metal shell. Very cool indeed. I had always heard of Metal phones from 1946 being made or short time, you have proved the rumor to be true. Do all dates match? Three concave CCCs? A picture or two would be great. The missing link, probably worth what you paid for all of them....Doug
Kidphone

persido

Thanks for the information everyone, this is great. Well if the phone is worth more because of the markings on the shell then I ruined that, I powder coated it, a lot of  paint got inside the shell and covered the markings. I have powder coated 12 302's, this has happened to several of them and others get very little paint on the inside. I know a lot of collectors disapprove of painting telephones for a number of reasons, I collect telephones to bring them back to their  glory, matching dates are really not important to me, it's how they look when I'm done restoring them.
I'm happy that I did powder coat it, I think it came out great, I love the way it shines, and I got the handset shining nicely using Wipe New. I have tried several methods to make dull handsets shine, I even bought a can of Glayzit, it worked good it put some life back into them, but a wipe down using Wipe New has given me the results I'm looking for.

Doug Rose

Love that dial card!!! You did a super job on the phone....looks great....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

If the housing has the 3 C's inside each other, these would be molded in the metal  and would not disappear with paint. Look up near the switch hook on the end where the wires attach.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Looks great,

I'm going to have to try out that wipe new stuff..

Ben