"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Shop Finds I didn't Purchase

Started by Nick in Manitou, November 30, 2013, 11:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weco355aman

The seller will be in for a big shock when they find out what the real shipping
cost is. That item will be a real S.O.B. to box up. Because this is made with a cast
base it could break if drop-ed. If sent by UPS it WILL be broken.
I'd make contact before buying and verify that they won't want more $ for shipping.
Phil

Dave F

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 01, 2013, 03:54:48 PM
<snip>The explosion proof phone is probably a good deal if you want a big ugly phone for your collection....

The official unofficial nickname for the W.E. 320 is the "Soviet Princess Phone".  That could also apply to the 520 and 2520.  I guess you would say it's a case of guilt by association! 

DF

Dave F

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 14, 2013, 11:57:40 AM
I have a 520 and I paid a lot less for it.  I am having some difficulty mounting it on the bracket, it only goes on 1/2 way, but I did not put much effort into solving the problem.  I think the threads need to be cleaned and re-greased.  If they are going for that much I need to break it out and put some effort into it.

Clean the threads thoroughly with naphtha or some similar solvent, then try using teflon plumbers tape instead of grease.  That will make it easy to attach and remove at some future time with no more greasy mess.  Ignore this advice if you are actually going to use the phone in an explosive atmosphere, as teflon tape probably wouldn't meet safety requirements!

DF

DavePEI

Make sure the locking pin is fully out when screwing the phone on the base... It wil prevent it going fully on.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

The pin is out.  I need to get the lock re-keyed.  There is definitely a crud build up on the threads-I have been using denatured alcohol, I am inside so I can't use anything too smelly.  I may try CLR, or maybe Citristrip
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

I have to admit, I bought one of those explosion phones, and "It seemed like a good idea at at the time".  Mine is missing the key - is it hard to find a key, or do I have to have a locksmith re-key it?
Dave

Sargeguy

I think Jody Haraldson? in CA can re-key these.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 01, 2013, 05:09:29 PM
As the owner of two explosion proof phones, all I can say is "It seemed like a good idea at at the time"

Greg, you don't really NEED 2 explosion proof phones, do you? I might be persuaded to take one of your hands ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tallguy58

Any guy that needs 2 explosion-proof phones is a guy I really don't need a dinner invitation from.

"Dinner next Saturday?"

"Well, geez, I'm kinda busy that week".

"You live near where??"

;D :D
Cheers........Bill

Sargeguy

I have two phones, a 320 and a 520.  I am keeping the 320 but the 520 is up for grabs.  The 520 has no mounting bracket and needs a handset cord (i will send an extra).  If you are interested shoot me an offer, I will probably accept it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Nick in Manitou

Another item I didn't purchase...

Today, (December 22, '13) we stopped by a antique shop a few blocks from the house and I saw the "switchboard" (?) shown below.  I couldn't find any markings on it except "AT&T".  I didn't see any other information on it at all.

The price was $38.

I don't know if anyone on the forum is looking for one of these...but if so, let me know.

Nick

poplar1

May be an attendant console for a Dimension PBX.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

An interesting switchboard but where is the handset ? .. if i'm not wrong ;)

baldopeacock

Quote from: poplar1 on December 22, 2013, 06:30:06 PM
May be an attendant console for a Dimension PBX.

That's what I was thinking.  We had a Dimension system where I worked in the late '70s, early '80s, this looks like the console at the reception desk.