"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just bought a 5302

Started by George Knighton, December 06, 2012, 10:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

5302 GRX

Much better shape than I expected for 55.00, although I'm sure somebody will tell me that I paid too much.  :-)

G1 handset seems heavier than handsets on 500's.  No sidetone issue, but volume is slightly low.

Works great, otherwise, and looks great!  I might enjoy using this one more than the 302's.

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Side quarter.
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Front.  I *might* like the dialing angle of a 302 just a little better.  Might.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

Phonesrfun

if the volume sounds normal, without higher sidetone, then the G handset is probably equipped with an F1 transmitter and an HA1 receiver, which is the best match for the 5302.

Sometimes the G handset with the F1 transmitter and HA1 receiver has been called a "GF" handset.  They were made, as far as I know, only for the 5302 to keep the sound level normalized.

Check under the caps and see what kinds of elements are in the handset.
-Bill G

George Knighton

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 07, 2012, 12:38:16 AM
if the volume sounds normal, without higher sidetone, then the G handset is probably equipped with an F1 transmitter and an HA1 receiver, which is the best match for the 5302.

Sometimes the G handset with the F1 transmitter and HA1 receiver has been called a "GF" handset.  They were made, as far as I know, only for the 5302 to keep the sound level normalized.

Check under the caps and see what kinds of elements are in the handset.

You're exactly right.  F1 transmitter and HA1 receiver, in a G handset with clear plastic inserts to make sure they fit.

The G1 handset is heavier than I expected it to be.

What does the "GRX" signify, I wonder.
Annoying new poster.

Phonesrfun

All the early G handsets were made of Bakelite.  They started making them of soft plastic in the mid 50's and then hard plastics in the late 50's.  Bakelite handsets are noticeably heavier than plastics, but if you were to compare your handset to an early 50's G1 from a 500, the difference in weight due to the different elements would be indistinguishable.

I don't know what GRX is for, but maybe it has to do with the G handset.  The printing on the base of your phone does not look like traditional Bell System markings.  Perhaps a refurbisher.  I have heard in prior posts on this forum that the Bell System may have supplied 3rd party refurbishing shops with 5302 shells to build "new" 5302's.

Others are likely to chime in.
-Bill G

George Knighton

Thanks for the information.  I'll look forward to learning more!
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Transmitter end showing F1 from 11/46 and insert.
Annoying new poster.

poplar1

Not sure about the X in 5302GRX-3. Here's a guess for the rest:

The G as with 302Gs could mean it has a 3-conductor mounting cord and a letters and numbers dial plate.  Many 5302s are marked only "5302G." Manual (non-dial) sets are sometimes marked 5302E.

The R probably means Retractile Cord and the -3  definitely means black.

A supervisor from the Western Electric Distributing House in Atlanta told me that in 1965, he was told by his boss to abruptly stop the assembly of 5302s in the middle of production. I asked the supervisor why and he said he never thought to ask. (That's when I knew why I could never get hired by the phone company!)

The same supervisor said he was at his mother's house after work one day and heard an unfamiliar sound when she was dialing the phone. On closer look, he saw a 500 with a loud 7D dial where before there had been either a 302 or a 5302. It was in the built-in phone nook  in the hall and its feet were hanging over the edge. His mother said the nice Southern Bell Installer-Repairman and swapped the old phone for a new one at no cost to her.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jester

The "R" in the suffix was probably for the "retractile" or spring cord.
Stephen

George Knighton

Quote from: poplar1 on December 09, 2012, 09:18:06 PM
A supervisor from the Western Electric Distributing House in Atlanta told me that in 1965, he was told by his boss to abruptly stop the assembly of 5302s in the middle of production. I asked the supervisor why and he said he never thought to ask.

O.o

Strange.  Something else to puzzle about!

Thanks very much for the information. 
Annoying new poster.

McHeath

Nice looking phone.  And the handset has a good finish on it as well.  What date is the handset cord?

George Knighton

Quote from: McHeath on December 10, 2012, 10:06:42 AM
Nice looking phone.  And the handset has a good finish on it as well.  What date is the handset cord?
I apologise, but I'm very new at this.  I'd be glad to check the date of the handset cord, and I understand why you're asking, but I am not sure where to look for that date.
Annoying new poster.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: George Knighton on December 10, 2012, 10:14:22 AM
Quote from: McHeath on December 10, 2012, 10:06:42 AM
I apologise, but I'm very new at this.  I'd be glad to check the date of the handset cord, and I understand why you're asking, but I am not sure where to look for that date.

There should be a date stamped into the metal cord restraint on the phone end.

Larry

George Knighton

I can make out a 6 on one side, the break where it was folded over, and a 2 on the other side.

I'd have to unscrew the cord connections and then unfold the metal to really be able to see it.

6||2  <--That's all I can see without beginning an uninstallation of the cord.  I hope you'll excuse me for not doing that!  :-)

I'm thinking that what I must be seeing is the rolled around *2/46.
Annoying new poster.