News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing Stuck Handset Caps

Started by cihensley@aol.com, March 03, 2011, 04:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

I have found something that seems to do well at removing stuck handset caps. I previously used a strap wrench to remove stubborn caps, but it seem like you almost need four hands to position, hold, tighten and use a strap wrench. This tightens or loosens by turning the handle. I purchased from Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/4w222ll

Chuck

Ed D

Chuck,

This sounds nice, I do hate the regular strap wrenches as they can be hard to handle for some things.

I recently had a stuck cap on a F1 handset and used my hair dryer to heat things up  and see if it broke free.  The handset made a fairly significant "SNAP" sound and I was afraid to look.  But all it was, apparently, was the transmitter cap breaking loose, I guess.  It screwed right off, and I could find no cracks.  Thankfully!

Maybe this would work well in combination with a hair dryer "treatment"?

Ed

deedubya3800

I've never resorted to using anything other than a hair dryer and my own hands to remove a handset cap. In fact, I just had to get that out a few minutes ago on my 5302 to check the elements in it for a reply I posted to another thread. The Bakelite G1 is about the only one I have to regularly employ that technique on as all my ABS and F1 handset caps, whether Bakelite or thermoplastic, come off fairly easily. I'm always afraid to use any extra force in fear of cracking or stripping the threads from either the cap or the handle.

GG

The hair dryer trick worked for me with stuck thermoplastic caps on an F1 handset recently.  A strap wrench would also be nice. 

IMO the thing is to use each of a number of techniques together gently until it budges. 

Honda Enoch

While working on my WE 500 the other day I had the idea to use a hair dryer on high and heat the cap it loosened right up and came off.

deedubya3800

I have to use a hair dryer on a couple of my G1 handsets. I've never had to use it on an F1, but I'm sure someone has.

TallahasseeTom

I had a small bottle of watch oil, used on old pocket watches. I lined the inside rim with the watch oil, let it set overnight, and it worked perfectly the next day with moderated elbow grease. 

Not sure of the weight but it is a synthetic watch oil, much thinner than I have ever seen elsewhere. Obtainable over the internet.

Russ Kirk

OK,  I'm believer in resurrecting old topics.

I have wonderful red 302 that has a stuck transmitter.  I got it off with a a hair drier; that was simple. 

My question is, what do you do so the F1 element does not stick again?

Mine will go back in but it is so tight I'm afraid that I will find the transmitter cap cracked sometime in the future.

Do I apply some silicone? Or something else?
Shave/sand the transmitter cap a bit? (least preferred)   
Leave the transmitter out?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Matilo Telephones

Is there any need to use that particular transmitter? Do you have one that is slightly smaller?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

JimH

Quote from: Russ Kirk on March 27, 2015, 02:10:50 PM
OK,  I'm believer in resurrecting old topics.

I have wonderful red 302 that has a stuck transmitter.  I got it off with a a hair drier; that was simple. 

My question is, what do you do so the F1 element does not stick again?

Mine will go back in but it is so tight I'm afraid that I will find the transmitter cap cracked sometime in the future.

Do I apply some silicone? Or something else?
Shave/sand the transmitter cap a bit? (least preferred)   
Leave the transmitter out?
I think unless you relieve the stress, the plastic could continue to shrink, and it could crack. Could you carefully sand out some plastic?  I'd rather do that to relieve the stress than grind metal off the transmitter.  Either way, I think you need to give it some more room.
Jim H.

HarrySmith

Yes, you will have to create some more room somewhere. There are plenty of transmitters out there, not so many Red 302's!! I would try to grind it down.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

unbeldi

The F1 transmitter is held together by a metal band around the periphery.  I don't know if there is enough materials to grind it thinner, seem like a hard way to go.  I have sanded the inside of the plastic cap for an ivory handset, IIRC.

An alternative would be to find F4 transmitter rings.  Sand them off a little to fit and use a T1 transmitter instead of an F1.

Sargeguy

Unlike most of you guys I don't spend 20 minutes each morning blowing my hair into an Elvis-style pompadour, so I don't own a hair-dryer.  I just pop phones in the oven for 15 minutes on low (remember to set timer).  This loosens caps, housings from bases and a variety of other sticky situations.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 27, 2015, 09:01:43 PM
Unlike most of you guys I don't spend 20 minutes each morning blowing my hair into an Elvis-style pompadour, so I don't own a hair-dryer.  I just pop phones in the oven for 15 minutes on low (remember to set timer).  This loosens caps, housings from bases and a variety of other sticky situations.
Ma! I think Dinner is burning!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

RotoTech99

I use a plumber's style strap wrench as well; Mine doesn't have any particular adjusting feature, but it does do a good job on freeing stuck handset caps. I found it through a local Ace hardware outlet. The only thing I wish it had was a little latch to hold the strap in position once you set it.

I thought about drilling a hole for a small set pin, and make holes in the strap that would mate with it.

It came with a smaller strap wrench as well.

Both have a rubber strap with treading on the inner side for the grip.

About the only caps I found it wouldn't tackle are the Kellogg 1000 Redbar handset caps.