"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Black G2 handset???

Started by ESalter, October 17, 2010, 09:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESalter

Hey Guys and Gals-

I was digging around last night for some parts and came across our pile of WE G5 push-to-talk handsets.  One of them caught my eye.  It's black, new in the box, has a 6 conductor RUBBER cord, and it's a bakelite handset.  The talkbar also seems to be made of bakelite and it's marked like a G1 handset would be.  "Western Electric - Not For Sale - G2".  The caps are plastic, no center holes, everything on it is dated 1959.

I was just wondering if anyone else has(or has seen) one of these.  I've seen quite a number of PTT handsets, but they're all marked G5, never seen a G2 before.

--Eric

K1WI

Hi ,
   Maybe can help a little with info about the G2 handset. I started out with Ma Bell in the mid 60s first as a "radioman" then as a "switchman". I  remeber the eary radio phones used black G2 push to  TALK or LISTEN handsets with a six wire cord. The were a bit more rugged than thier replacement the G5.   I've run across them in lots of radio euiipment  from Motorola , Bendix , Gonsets   The FAA used them extensivly in thier private network up until the late 70s.  ( I owned a small avionics and marine radio shop fro a few years after retiring from Ma Bell).
   These hand sets were known for easy to adapt to any use as the switch contacts had seperate leads in the cord.
    I only remember seeing a few G2s in color ,mostly in a strange shade of green.

Think I still have one some where in red. It came out of an old pre WW II Mercedes that had a mobile "radio" phone in the back seat.
    Hope this helps,   
     Andy   K1WI

paul-f

G5 replaced the G2.  From the BSPs I've read, it's not clear why they made the change.  Two candidates are:
  1. Problems with the switch assembly causing a redesign.
  2. Change from bakelite to plastic handle. (Similar to the G1 -> G3 change.)

References to some reference BSP numbers are here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#Handsets
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

K1WI

Pail F ....   Thanks for hosting your web site , Ive gotten tons of information there.  I vaugely recollect being told that the G2 handsets were cracking when hanging on an auto dash in the hot sun. we had to replace them any time a radio was being serviced.  One thing I do remember is that boxes for G2 said "push to TALK/LISTEN  and the G5 just had the part code or an "R" or "ED" number.  Some of the G5 variations had cords with on ly 4 conductors            It was a long time ago  !(three carears ago)
   Again   THANKS
              Andy K1WI

Dave F

Here's a G2 handset from 1956.  Bakelite, like a G1, but heavier still.  Caps with no center holes, big thick long rubber coil cord with headset-style dual plug.  This baby will eventually go on my 555 cordboard.  G2 was reincarnated as the G5, probably to reduce weight when the new G3-style shells became available.