News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Goodwill comes through again

Started by Dan, March 17, 2010, 06:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

All this trimline talk on the other thread has inspired me to look closer @ these. Picked up a brown trimline for $2.50 and a 1961  White WE500 all original with the soft centered finger wheel for $5. I don't know how common the browns are, but the white 500 looks hardly used.Is it possible to date a trimline without taking it apart? I'll try to get pics up if wanted...
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

I would of bought both at those prices. I would of passed on the trimline at $6. However I have lots of them,
Good Find,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan

both work great (don't they all!). thanks. There are deals out there but a 1961 is unusual @ a goodwill.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

You guys get so much luck at your local thrift stores! I've yet to pull out a doozy of a phone!
- Tom

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on March 18, 2010, 05:43:50 AM
You guys get so much luck at your local thrift stores! I've yet to pull out a doozy of a phone!
I buddy of mine got 2 rose 302's the same day from 2 different thrift store. Salvation Army and goodwill. He bought these about 3 hours apart.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on March 18, 2010, 05:43:50 AM

Like Vern Potter says, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the prince.

Keep looking, and one will turn up some day.
-Bill G

AET

Jim - All I can do about that is drop my jaw!!!

Bill - I'm a persistent guy and will not give up.  I go in and ask every time.  Last time I was at St. Vinnie's was last week buying anew couch and when I was helping load up the couch in the delivery truck, there was a 2500 sitting in it, and I just told them "throw that in too"
- Tom

Greg G.

When I go "thrift crawling" for phones, it's one of the few things I actually plan out.  I have a list of all the GW's, Value Village's, and St. Vinnies and other hole-in-the-wall thrift stores in my area.  My "weekends" are actually during the week, so in Seattle I have to plan my activities around the horrible traffic, which means trying to hit as many as I can between 10am and 3pm between the rush hours. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e