News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Happy Father's Day Flea Market Find!!!

Started by Dan, June 20, 2010, 12:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Dan, in that case you better dump that phone.  I'll give you $50 for it.  (The extra $10 for the polishing job).  :)

JorgeAmely

Dennis, are you going to post photos of your Father's day find?

PS: I remember seeing a P/U Oxford Gray on ebay that sold for $800+ maybe a couple of years ago.

Jorge

paul-f

Quote from: Dennis Markham on June 21, 2010, 10:24:45 AM

Dan, I do not know the dates involved in the manufacturing.  My info came from Paul's site.  Perhaps he will comment.

The research on the H, P and U sets is documented in the August 2009 Singing Wires article, "Dialing in the Dark."  I'll eventually post some of the details, but here are some date highlights:

• 1954 - 500H (had service restrictions)
  • 1955 - 500P (revised hookswitch - replaced 500H)
  • 1956 - 500U (night light feature)
  • ca. 1959 - P/U Base Stampings started
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

jsowers

Dan, you posted the text below, in January, in response to my posting that picture of a dark blue 500P. Remember it? I think it bears repeating. I love the quote from Seinfeld (spoken by Teri Hatcher, I think)...

Quote from: Dan on January 13, 2010, 05:35:56 PM
To quote the girl on seinfeld- 'They are real, and they are spectacular."

I don't even have a regular medit. blue. A 'shroom is only a dream for me...

Your phone is real and it's spectacular. Your dream came true. And on Father's Day.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

darn!! Nice find!! And a great price!!  Soft plastic, dark blue, thick grey cords and the light to boot!! WOW!!!!! Congrats!
I am very jealous!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 21, 2010, 03:21:25 PM
darn!! Nice find!! And a great price!!  Soft plastic, dark blue, thick grey cords and the light to boot!! WOW!!!!! Congrats!
I am very jealous!!

Harry, I cried when I saw it.  :'( :'( :'(
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Not nearly exciting...not even in the same ball park........here's my Father's Day Flea Market finds.......

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2916.0

Dan

Quote from: jsowers on June 21, 2010, 03:13:59 PM
Dan, you posted the text below, in January, in response to my posting that picture of a dark blue 500P. Remember it? I think it bears repeating. I love the quote from Seinfeld (spoken by Teri Hatcher, I think)...

Quote from: Dan on January 13, 2010, 05:35:56 PM
To quote the girl on seinfeld- 'They are real, and they are spectacular."

I don't even have a regular medit. blue. A 'shroom is only a dream for me...

Your phone is real and it's spectacular. Your dream came true. And on Father's Day.

Thanks for the neat words. You have a terrific memory!!!!!!!!!!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

Quote from: JorgeAmely on June 21, 2010, 04:10:37 PM
Quote from: HarrySmith on June 21, 2010, 03:21:25 PM
I am very jealous!!

Harry, I cried when I saw it.  :'( :'( :'(

Jorge you should have seen my poker face when he said he could do better on the price. Inside I was bouncing. At work today the girls even noticed I was in a GREAT mood for a monday.

I know how Dan/P felt  when he won the prototype auction.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan, I once found a Mediterranean Blue 500 at an outdoor antique fair.  Of course it was just a plain ole 500, but dark blue with the matching cords.  Nice fat coiled handset cord.  When I asked how much he said $35 and I didn't even dicker.  He told me I handed him my pair of $20 bills so fast that he should have said $50.  My heart was beating like a jack-rabbits.  It is exciting to find something like that.  I can only imagine what it felt like with that 500P. 

Dan

I remember that story! I brought it up back on reply six.

I giggled like a school girl all the way home. My wife seriously thought I was nuts when I told her I just got a $500 valued  rare phone in the blue color I needed. The n you guys tell me it may be worth twice that!

John S

Great find, it goes to show, that they are still out there......

very nice find....

John

Craig T

:o WOW! Find of a lifetime, Congrats Dan! I can't believe how nice of condition it is still in, unreal.