News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just Back from the Flea Market with a WE D1/E1

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 11, 2010, 11:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just came back from the local flea market about an hour ago with this WE D1/E1.  The base, 4H dial, and receiver are all dated "III 36".  The 'flat back' F1 transmitter is dated 2/38.  The E1 handset seems to be in pretty good shape with no major cracks, except for one in the ring on the receiver (visible in picture).  The handset cord is in good condition, but the cloth around the mounting cord is frayed in several places.  The paint is in reasonable condition, with some loss near the front bottom of the base.  The 4H dial turns well, but deserves a bit of a cleaning.  The seller wanted $40, so I did not argue with him.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Nice purchase, Larry. Like I said before, all the good phones are in Michigan.
Jorge

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Greg G.

Nice find!  I'm going to have to get a weekend day off sometime this summer.  I drove a route yesterday that wanders around a lot of different residential areas in the north end of Seattle.  There were a lot of yard sales because it was sunny and warm.  I got some funny looks from people when they saw me slow down and look at yard sales with a bus full of people.  Heck, that route only uses a small 30-ft bus, I could almost park it in their driveway.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Nice one, Larry! I'd say you did very well with that one.  I spun a few dials this weekend looking for the elusive #4 dial.  All on 302's.  One of these days I'm going to find one.  Great find!

LarryInMichigan

The dial is in very good shape, I sprayed alot of contact cleaner into it and removed plenty of dirt.  The dial face is not original; It is from 1948.  There is a possibly original number card (the perforated type), but someone rubbed out most if the center of it with a black grease pencil.  I managed to remove most of the black pencil with contact cleaner and plenty of rubbing.

Larry

Dennis Markham

That exchange card, TYler as you know Larry was a Detroit area exchange.  I've seen TYler8.  I have a TYler 4 dial card on one of my 500's.

Doug Rose

Larry.....Great find! Mariepr, who is in the forum, makes outstanding base covers that will really dress this up. Great find!!!.....Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

i wish i had some kin folks up in Michigan i would get a great phone for my birthday every year
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

Here in Michigan, the streets are paved with phones ::)

Dennis Markham

I want to start going to the flea market YOU go to Larry!

LarryInMichigan

Dennis,

Go ahead.  Royal Oak is not terribly far for you.  Just be aware that good phone finds are the exception, rather than the rule, there.  There are usually a few phones around, but seldom anything good.  Today, one seller had several modular WE phones.  Another has had an overpriced ($165) AE 50 for quite a while, and yet another has has an SC 1243 in fair condition for $65.  Of course, there are usually a few cheesy imitation European phones around.

In the past 13 months, I have bought a WE 20AL candlestick (with magneto subset), an AE 1A (with subset), a North wall phone, and now this D1/E1 there.

Happy hunting!

Larry

Dennis Markham

I was only joking, Larry.  I'm not going to poach in your neck of the woods.  I know exactly what you mean.  I do my share of frog kissing.  I paid $65 last year for a D1/F1/5H dial.  So yours was a real good find.  I saw $55 for a 302 yesterday at the local Antique Fair that runs 3 times a year, May/July/September.  That was the one I spun the dial on a couple of times.  Had it been a #4 I would have paid the price.  There was also a pink W.E. 500 from 1969...nice but $75 firm!  It was the first hour of a two-day show.  So prices are all over the place.  I did stand by while a fellow collector, who I run into each time I go to that flea market spotted a Chicago stick (non-dial).  It was marked $75 and he got it for $65.  He knew what he was buying, I had no clue with that phone.  It had a W.E. transmitter and receiver but he felt it was worth over $100.  So it does help to know what one is looking at while browsing.  I also passed on a Stromberg Carlson, black, cut-corner (forgot the model)...$15.  So I see my share of phones just nothing too unusual.  I did pick up something today that was unusual.  I'll post something on it later. 

LarryInMichigan

Dennis,

I won't mind if you buy a phone or two in Royal Oak.  If you plan to go out there some time (before the weather is freezing) let me know.  Maybe I can meet you there.  It is about 10 mins from here. 

From what I have seen, any candlestick in decent shape goes for $100 or more.  The dial ones start closer to $200.  If I had seen that Chicago candlestick, I probably would have bought it.

In the mean time, if I see any 1969 pink 500s for under $75, I will let you know ;)

Larry

John S