and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two issues with an AE40

Started by HudValley, March 27, 2013, 01:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HudValley

Hey guys,

I have an AE40 that has two issues I hope you could help me with:

1) The big issue. It has a dial tone and it accepts call. However, I cannot dial out. When I attempt to make a call, after dialing one number I get three beeps and then air. If I dial a second number , I get the following message: We're sorry the call cannot be completed as dialed, etc...OV1.

2) The phone rings on incoming calls but only strikes one gong.

I have included some pictures of the set up. I'm new at this, so be easy on me!

Thanks,

Rob

HudValley

I fixed the ringing problem. What a stupid thing to miss on my part. Now onto the first one...

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HudValley on March 27, 2013, 01:56:34 PM
I fixed the ringing problem. What a stupid thing to miss on my part. Now onto the first one...

Did you have to adjust the bell?

rdelius

your dial pulse cam is out of position. The lobes should be at right angles to the contact that pulses. If you look at other AE dial photos on this forum you can compare them. Your ringer is not a straight line one either but it still might ring.

HudValley

Ben,

I just turned the bell. Despite not being a SL ringer, it works! It's the first of my AE's to actually ring, so that's exciting.

I'll look into the dial issue.

Thanks guys,
Rob

HudValley

Rdelius,

I'm trying to figure out exactly what you mean, but I don't see a difference. If you have a moment, could you explain in detail the problem and possibly provide the appropriate adjustment to make. I hope I'm not asking too much.

Thanks,
Rob

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HudValley on March 27, 2013, 04:04:47 PM
Ben,

I just turned the bell. Despite not being a SL ringer, it works! It's the first of my AE's to actually ring, so that's exciting.

I'll look into the dial issue.

Thanks guys,
Rob

Makes sense, now I need to try that on one of my A&E's. None of mine ring either.

HudValley

So I looked at this photo:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AutomaticElectricDialOverhaul#5335110506846298322

I know it's a different dial, but the contact points seemed to be lined up the same way. Maybe I'm missing something?

Rob

stub

Rob,
       Your dial, at rest , should look like mine in 1st pic. To adjust yours, loosen the small nut on the plastic piece that my screwdriver is pointing to and rotate it till it looks like mine in the 1 st pic. then retighten and check. Now to check it rotate the front of the the finderwheel ( dial)  and hold it in place to see if it matches the 2 pic, then release it and the cam should open and close the pluse contacts the amount of times the number you dialed. You can left click on pic and they will enlarge . Hope this helps.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

HudValley

OK, that was really helpful, thanks. The problem, I think, is that the piece I just adjusted does not "reach" the metal piece (sorry, I'm new) next to it so no contact can be made.

How can I adjust this?

Here's a picture of where I'm at.

Thanks,

Rob

stub

Rob ,
        Take a pocket screwdriver and bend the brass piece ( in my pic) till the 2nd contact touches the 1st contact in your picture. These two contacts are supposed to be closed at all times except when the cam opens them . When the dial is turned both contacts will fall and touch or almost touch the plastic cam( like my 2nd pic above ) as the cam turns it will open and close those 2 contacts and if the speed is right you should get the right number you dialed.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

DavePEI

Quote from: stub on March 27, 2013, 11:44:21 PM
Rob ,
        Take a pocket screwdriver and bend the brass piece ( in my pic) till the 2nd contact touches the 1st contact in your picture. These two contacts are supposed to be closed at all times except when the cam opens them . When the dial is turned both contacts will fall and touch or almost touch the plastic cam( like my 2nd pic above ) as the cam turns it will open and close those 2 contacts and if the speed is right you should get the right number you dialed.   stub
One thing I noticed years ago, is many AE dials are capable of dialing 11 digits if not adjusted correctly. The cure is the same as the above.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HudValley

OK, so that's fixed. Now, when I try to dial all I get is a dial tone. I feel like we almost have to be there!

Thanks!

poplar1

Make sure the spade tips on the two wires for the pulsing contacts are not touching each other. They were not in your original photo but they appear to be in the most recent photo.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

JorgeAmely

Quote from: rdelius on March 27, 2013, 03:54:24 PM
your dial pulse cam is out of position. The lobes should be at right angles to the contact that pulses. If you look at other AE dial photos on this forum you can compare them. Your ringer is not a straight line one either but it still might ring.

Good eye there, sir.

If it helps, I have an album I created on how to overhaul these dials.
Available at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AutomaticElectricDialOverhaul
Jorge