News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone System for a Model Railroad

Started by steveb919, April 15, 2013, 01:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

No problem funding the red dragon :) Sad thing is, it probably is the same source for those sold in N.A. for ten times the price! No sense paying the middlemen!

Those look like the correct ones, so I took a chance and ordered some!

Thanks,

Dave

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 16, 2013, 06:13:43 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on April 16, 2013, 05:24:48 AM
Speaking of Plantronics:

Does anyone know of a source for replacement foam pads for the earphones and microphone on Plantronics headsets.

If you're willing to fund the red dragon, ebay has plenty of the earpads going cheap (genuine ones are insanely expensive!!):

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251251456550

They're usually all the same size pad, so should fit fine... :)

As for the mic foam, there's some on ebay, but they seem pricey for just the one piece, it'd probably be easier to do without, unless you really need the pop filtering properties of the mic foam... :)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I took a look about after I posted that and you could probably fit generic headset foam pads over the mics (they're usually about the same size, and used on all kinds of headset brands, aswell as types of headsets (PC, gaming, telephone, etc.), and they come in bulk packs, so probably worth looking at... :)

steveb919

I have not had a chance to try out some of the solutions to my problem.  I will do so in the next day or so and report the results, hopefully good ones.

Thanks,
Steve

If the voltage on the intercom line is too low it may not be enough to power the Plantronics amplifier. Most Plantronics amplifiers can be powered off of the telephone line or optionally with batteries or an external wall-wart.

But since we do not know the model number of the amplifier we also do not know if it has this capability, however if it does, be sure to put a set of batteries in it.

In order for it to hang-up and release the relay and extinguish the led, you will need to add an external on-off switch to replace the function of the switch-hook.

From what I recall from many years ago, the train master or dispatcher would have a monitor amplifier that was bridged across the train order wire to listen for the station agents/telegraphers calling for him so he would he could perform other duties around the room without having to keep his headset on all day long when it was slow. This would be easy to accomplish if you would like to add one at a later date.
In any event try the circuit below with your 425 network.

[/quote]

steveb919

I obtained an inexpensive telephone (the ones in my house are all wireless except for the base station).  I hooked in the Plantronics system and determined the microphone on the headset was defective.  Needless to say I am a bit embarrassed about this since I put you all through the trouble of trying to find a solution to a problem which may not exist.  I expect a new headset in a few days and I am sure one of the solutions you sent me will work.

Thank you for all your help,
Steve