News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal NE 302

Started by ....., December 08, 2016, 08:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked up this Metal Northern Electric 302 at the local Restore yesterday for $25.00.
When I got it home I opened it up and found dates all over and missing gongs.
Metal body is a H1 III, Base IV-44, Dial 5H 1-47,
Network 9-21-42, Ringer 4-30-56,
Handset 3-29-46, Earpiece 11-30-56, Mouthpiece 1-10-48 
Gave it a little clean up, repaired the handset cord. It had cracked where it came out of the phone. Used heat shrink over the damage.
I put a modular cord on it and tested it. It gets dial tone and when dialing out nothing but dial tone, won't dial out. the ringer works on incoming calls, just need some gongs.

The bright side of this phone is, I gave to charity and received a parts phone.

The side by side pictures of the phone are of before and after.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: Autonut on December 08, 2016, 08:45:00 AM
I picked up this Metal Northern Electric 302 at the local Restore yesterday for $25.00.
When I got it home I opened it up and founds dates all over a missing gongs.
Metal body is a H1 III, Base IV-44, Dial 5H 1-47,
Network 9-21-42, Ringer 4-30-56,
Handset 3-29-46, Earpiece 11-30-56, Mouthpiece 1-10-48 
Gave it a little clean up, repaired the handset cord. It had cracked where it came out of the phone. Used heat shrink over the damage.
I put a modular cord on it and tested it. It gets dial tone and when dialing out nothing but dial tone, won't dial out. the ringer works on incoming calls, just need some gongs.

The bright side of this phone is, I gave to charity and received a parts phone.

The side by side pictures of the phone are of before and after.
Wow! Cool find!! I love these metal 302s! You should be able to find some gongs for it on eBay, or from a member here. Do you have a wiring diagram? I am familiar with the WE 302s, but I don't know if NE wired them any differently.
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

finkmac

ReStore huh? I've considered visiting one but they're mostly out of the way...

Quote from: Holtzer-Cabot on December 08, 2016, 10:43:05 AM
I am familiar with the WE 302s, but I don't know if NE wired them any differently.

They should be wired the same if they're wired for the same kind of service.
NT Northern Telecom

Ktownphoneco

Nice find Doug !    Here's a 302 schematic to help you check the wiring on the set.    I'll see if I have a pair of gongs for that ringer.

Jeff

Pourme

Nice find...I love those metal 302's....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

I didn't know Northern Electric made metal 302s. Dates are rather late for a metal phone. Just asking as it looks to me like a WE metal 302 that was put on a North 302....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Although Northern Electric's first "combined" telephone set was the Uniphone ( went into production in September 1935), Bell Canada did not use or install any Uniphones.    They chose to wait until Western released the 302 for general production, and continued making those sets well into the 1950's.     Metal case 302's were made initially by Northern during the early production runs, and like Western, switched to thermoplastic cases.    However Northern or Bell Canada, not sure which, quite often recycled metal cases well into the 1940's.     The 302's, made by Northern, and as was the case in the U.S.A., became the workhorse of the Bell System in Canada.   We moved from the house I grew up in, in 1961, and when we left, there was a Northern 302 sitting in the kitchen.    I wanted to grab it, and take it with us, but my mother said, "absolutely not", it's the property of Bell Canada.

Jeff 

Doug Rose

Kidphone

unbeldi

Base, Ringer, and induction coil are definitively NECo., not North, going by the style of markings.
But as the dates are so spread out in time, it is absolutely unclear whether it was a metal set originally, or just happened to end up that way. The set appears assembled from individual parts, not being a "refurbishment" with a major date group prevailing.
But as the housing is stamped H1 triple bar, it matches the ringer, and was stamped winter/spring 1941 or later, which is the approx. starting time of red-stripe ringers.