News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotary wall phone wired for digital will only place calls to other landlines

Started by sandykopandy, January 26, 2013, 11:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandykopandy

Hi everyone! I'm new to the site and am hoping you can help me troubleshoot a bizarre problem. I had the original rotary dial wall phone for my house- Western Electric 500 series (can't remember exactly which). It worked great but stopped working to place calls when my phone company went to digital. I installed one of those little boxes inside it to convert the pulse to tone so that it would be fully functional. Everything worked great for a few months. Now it still works beautifully EXCEPT for when I call a cell phone. As soon as I start dialing the exchange for a cell phone, it's as if it recognizes that this isn't going to be a landline number and a recorded message comes on that says, "If you would like to make a call, please hang up and try again." WHAT???? I don't get it. The tones that play after each pulse are clear and there is no problem whatsoever calling any landline or business phone. My phone company denies having made any changes in over a year. Any ideas? I would like to solve this mystery!!!
Thanks,
Sandy

sandykopandy

Okay, new piece of information: Today it wouldn't call out at all except to long distance numbers. No one?

G-Man

Quote from: sandykopandy on January 27, 2013, 12:06:56 AM
Okay, new piece of information: Today it wouldn't call out at all except to long distance numbers. No one?

Have you tested the line using a regular dtmf telephone? If so how does it behave?

Also, who is the manufacturer and what is model number of the pulse to tone adapter?

Does it have the ability to perform toll restriction or speed dialing?