News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. dial governor tool.

Started by N7LTH, January 10, 2014, 10:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

The tool prevents the governor from spinning as you adjust the screw.  I had to adjust one of mine recently and used a small open-ended wrench, which I stuck in the back of the governor while I fiddled eith the adjustment screw.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cihensley@aol.com

Here are some of the dimensions, from WeCo catalog 11 (1950).

Chuck

Matilo Telephones

Thanks Chuck, that´s exactly what I would need to make one. Sadly the dials the tool is for are not very common here.  ;)

It has me thinking of making such a thing for other dials. Perhaps one that is a little adjustable, so it fits lots of dials.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Dennis Markham

It is nice to see the photo of the tool.  I too have wanted one for a long time but have never seen one on eBay.  I have adjusted several dials that have the screw adjustment on the governor (after a good cleaning) and it's always worked for me.  I have used Q-tips, snipping off the cotton ends with a pair of wire cutters and then just using the cardboard "sticks" to put on either side of the wheel to hold it in place as I make the adjustment.

HarrySmith

Maybe we could propose a repro tool be produced, kinda like TCI did with the AE handset tool??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Here's a link to the BSP showing this tool in use.  Page 12 of the document---courtesy of the TCI Document Repository.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/western-electric/doc_details/2385-dials-501-162-100-tl

Instructions for the dial (5H) adjustment are on pages 11 & 12.

N7LTH

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 11, 2014, 03:42:47 PM
Maybe we could propose a repro tool be produced, kinda like TCI did with the AE handset tool??

Oooooh... I LIKE that idea!!!
You know you have either phonitis or phonosis when your favorite film is "Dial Comes to Town".

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

This tool doesn't fit on a 7 dial...it is for 2,4 and 5 dials as mentionned. I can be wrong.

TelePlay

This tool sold for $64 plus minor shipping.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10940.msg128722#msg128722

Has anyone figured out how to make one or found a repro source?

Ktownphoneco

John   ....   I made a tool to do that job if your interested.    I can upload a picture, and if you like it, I'll machine one and send it to you.

Jeff Lamb

DavePEI

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on February 14, 2017, 05:06:54 PM
John   ....   I made a tool to do that job if your interested.    I can upload a picture, and if you like it, I'll machine one and send it to you.

Jeff Lamb
Jeff: I would be interested in one, too...
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

Probably a lot of us would be intersted?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ktownphoneco

John, "et al" ....   Bear in mind I wasn't trying to create the "Mona Lisa" of telephone tools when I made this.      Some of it's machined, and some steps were done with hand tools.      It consists of a small piece of 5/16" inch square stock, and a piece of 1/4" inch round stock.      I'm explaining this as if I were holding a 2, 4 or 5H dial, so that the back of the dial is facing me, and the governor drum is at the top, and I know a lot of this information is a forgone conclusion.
The tool is designed to utilize the lower opening in the governor drum, leaving the upper opening to make the adjustments to the speed control saddle.    Loosen the clamping screw and moving the top of the speed adjusting saddle to the left, or counterclockwise, causes the dial speed to increase.     Moving it to the right, or clockwise, causes the dial to slow down.
The point of the 1/4" inch round stock handle is obvious.   One needs something to hold onto, and that's it.      I'll focus on the 5/16" inch square stock, as it's the business end of the tool.
It's made so that it has a "small" bit of wiggle room.      The primary notch is a "hair" larger than the governor weight bridge, which joins the 2 weights together, and serves as a mounting pint for the governor speed adjustment saddle.    There is a notch running across the working face of the tool which allows the two side notches to drop down on each side of the bridge, but without interfering with, of engaging the bottom portion of the speed adjustment saddle.     There is also a groove cut at right angles to that part of the tool which grips the speed adjusting saddle.     That small groove allows the tool to avoid resting on the small rivet head that holds on of the governor weights to the bridge.
Once the tool grips the governor weight bridge, the snug fit of the tool in the bottom opening of the governor drum, prevents the governor from turning, one way or the other, any appreciable distance.      The screw holding the speed control bridge can then be loosened, the adjustment made, and the screw re-tightened. 
Since the tool is brass on brass, or brass on nickel, when it's in contact with the governor parts, there's no scratches to deal with if it were made of steel.
Have a look at the pictures, and if you have any questions, or I missed something, just ask.    Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Jeff