News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 50 Ship Phone questions

Started by wds, April 24, 2018, 01:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I bought this AE 50 that was in bad shape.  Had 5 different colors of paint on it, and I removed 3 layers.  The other two colors must have been removed by a previous owner.  Black, Yellow, Orange, Red, Blue.  Took a long time but I finally got the paint off.  Paint stripper sure is rough on the hands!  Couple of questions though - There is a wire on the inside of the phone, one of the end connectors has broken off.  Does anyone know the purpose of the wire?  Second, the plunger is a plunger within a plunger.  The tip is spring loaded.  Why?  Third, the handset had a hole drilled in it on each end - would that have been for some other attachment?

The black dial number plate is plastic, not metal.  I'm guessing the numbers would have glowed in the dark.  A lot of work, but it ended up pretty nice.  Some scratches where the previous owner removed the old paint.
Dave

monophone_lover

Very nice phone.. and great you brought it back... the plunger is a telescopic these were used (among other things) on ship phones as it helped to keep the handset in place (along with the clips)... the dial plate looks like "waterproof" plate hence the plastic.   the holes in the hand set i have never seen before.. i would also like to know what they are for... again   great phone
Rob
ATCA # 4057