News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Pay Phone - Info for Home Install

Started by DragonPhone, April 22, 2014, 11:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

The phone company sent control voltage down tip and ground to activate the coin relay. It will not work on a regular phone line.

dsk

Quote from: DragonPhone on May 07, 2014, 03:06:09 PM
poplar1 & Eric,
I was able to get everything set last night.  The issue I was having is that the coin vane was never directing the coins to the vault no matter how I pressed it.  What I had to do was slowly push in on the relay and as I was doing that use a small screwdriver to reach in and behind the relay to push the lever attached to the coin vane the opposite way.  Once I was able to get it to switch to the correct side I had to stop pressing in on the relay.  Because if I kept pressing the relay all the way in it would then flip the coin vane over to the coin return route versus the coin vault route.

So now I have the relay tied off about 3/4 of the way in and that allows the coin vane to remain in the correct position.

I am now able to do both things that I wanted to be able to do.  When the receiver is on the hook any coins inserted fall though to the coin return.  This is fun for the kids.  Then I can pick up the receiver and at that point any coins inserted fall through to the coin vault which can now act as a pocket change piggy bank.

Thanks for all your assistance guys!!!

Great, but I do not understand how you made it to change between collect or return depending on on or off hook.
I have made my own controller based on a timer, it works on regular lines. http://tinyurl.com/o964d3b

dsk

xhausted110

Dsk, the electronic coin mech rejects all coins when the phone is on hook. Mechanical ones do not.
- Evan

trainman

Polarity reversal is what selected if the coins rejected, or collected. With a simulator, you can only do one or the other. You'd need a computer program to simulate a real coin operation, from validation, to call completion to decide if the coins are rejected or collected.

dsk

Quote from: trainman on November 23, 2014, 03:54:02 PM
Polarity reversal is what selected if the coins rejected, or collected. With a simulator, you can only do one or the other. You'd need a computer program to simulate a real coin operation, from validation, to call completion to decide if the coins are rejected or collected.
Yes it could be more sophisticated, my telephone don't let me dial before 25 cent is inserted.   When hanging up the coins are returned if no answer, or collected if party answered. No limits of how long time the call lasts.
dsk