News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any Idea What This Tests??

Started by HarrySmith, December 04, 2012, 03:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I came across this auction while searching for a phone tester. I have no idea what it is used for. Any ideas??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330780494803
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

To me it looks like the equivalent of a portable test board.  Maybe used out in the field by phone company employees to test lines and get closer to the problem than by being in the central office.

Just a guess.
-Bill G

K1WI

I think Bill got it right.  Seem to recollect that that test set was used a very large PBXs to test Dial long line circuits  (private line "toll" circuits) that used DLL sets like SD 96555 SD96251/96252 etc.  Had one in a Central Office I worked in but it never left the storeroom shelf as all test gear was already on 18B  board.     
   It's been a long long time since I worked on toll circuits , so please forgive my foggy memory.

Andy F       (20 years CO in toll , SxS and 5XB   .. then 15 years installing DMS switching systems  for a Bell operating company before taking "early retirement".
Andy F    K1WI

rdelius

I had a simalar set I used it to adjust dials .

HarrySmith

Looks very complicated, seems to simulate a lot of different calling conditions. Not what I was looking for. Anybody got a simple, easy to use, cheap phone tester available?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

My phone tester consists of a Panasonic 616.  Works very well for that purpose as well as having extensions in the house.

-Bill G