News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Paint Stripped Bakelite (photos)

Started by FABphones, June 19, 2018, 06:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I got these Black Bakelite wall terminal blocks in a joblot. Painted in an old lead base gloss, I finally got around to taking the paint off. I used an 'all purpose' paint stripper gel (for wood, metal etc).

It took 4 goes to get all the paint off. I'm thankful it was only these little terminals. I won't be stripping any doors anytime soon (ever). After the paint was all off they received a thorough going over with 000/Brasso, then my 3 day beauty oil treatment followed by a good rub down  ( sounds more like a beauty spa every time I type it  ;)   ).

Pic 1: Before
Pic 2: Left to right - Strip #1/2/3/4
Pic 3: Finished
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 19, 2018, 06:51:42 AM
Nice job, they look brand new!
Thanks Harry. I put it down to all the years of horse ownership (buffing up their saddles/bridles etc).
I can give a good rub down!   ;)  ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

twocvbloke

Looks like fused line protectors, not entirely sure of their use (surge, over-current, lightning, etc.), but pretty neat to have anyway... :)

RB

They look like fuses with a lightning arrest-or???.
Very nice recovery!

tubaman

Nice job!
It always amazes me how robust Bakelite is in terms of chemical resistance as that stripper is pretty potent stuff (certainly makes my skin hurt when I've got some on it  ::))
:)

andy1702

I like getting painted stuff like that because the layers of thick paint have usually protected the original surface quite well.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.