News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Chemically Sanding 'The Cowpat' (BT 'Dawn')

Started by FABphones, July 10, 2018, 12:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

Maybe the 84 12 is week 12 in 1984, not December.

Cheap labels because that was the label printing technology of the time, especially for a comparatively short run item. The writing was already on the wall by 1984 for old dial phones, as people were buying the exciting new push-button ones.

"Made in UK" because the UK is the place of the last substantial manufacturing process, which was probably putting UK bits into the NT shell.

HarrySmith

Quote from: FabPhones on July 11, 2018, 11:26:03 AM
Yikes. Yes it certainly does!
No 'wow/gasp/open mouthed' icon so here's mine -    :-o

:)

I call it collecting. My wife calls it hoarding!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: Owain on July 11, 2018, 05:02:07 PM
Maybe the 84 12 is week 12 in 1984, not December.

Cheap labels because that was the label printing technology of the time.........

I dunno, the usual green spot label is a better quality/design. The one in question could have been done better.
I've only ever seen 84 12 on these labels, never anything else. I'm going to be scanning every one of these I see from now on looking for other figures. Now look what you've started....  ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

The Green Spot label was a regulatory requirement so that's probably why it was of decent quality.
Digressing a little - it always made me chuckle that it was quite ok to sell phones with the Red Triangle (non-approved) label on, but you were not allowed to use them on a BT line.
We all took notice of that of course!
It was the same with the early AM Citizens Band radios - it was perfectly legal to sell them but totally illegal to use them.
The joys of English law!!
;D

twocvbloke

Technically speaking, all our telephones we convert to use on a modern line would probably have a red triangle sticker slapped on them, not that we care, the phonelines haven't melted off the poles when plugging the phones in, so it's all good...  ;D