"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Introduce myself

Started by joey67, February 25, 2011, 08:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey67

Hello all,
I would like to introduce myself. About two weeks ago I was at work when I heard one of the customer service representatives helping troubleshoot a problem with a Point of Sale (POS) device. Someone had put the POS device on pulse dial, which of course didn't work with the necessary communication. I found myself reminded of rotary phones. Soon I was on Ebay looking for a rotary desk phone. I wanted a 40's style phone, but most of them were out of my price range. I search and found a person offering a 1955 Western Electric 500. I won the bid, it cost me more to ship it that to purchase but I was thrilled to be getting it. The day it arrived in the mail I had to wait until late in the evening to hook it up. I finally had time; I hooked it up and tested it. No ringing and I was disappointed. The next day I searched the internet for an answer, and found it on Yahoo answers.  I had also stumbled across this forum, and decided to join. I look forward to getting to know the many knowledgeable members here. Thanks for reading. 
Joe

Dennis Markham

Welcome Joe!  You will find many helpful folks here.  We look forward to you joining in on the discussions.

HarrySmith

Hi Joe :D
Welcome! Congrats on your 500!
Since this is your first you can probably escape before phoneitis gets ahold! These things tend to multiply quickly! Maybe another color, another year or a different manufacturer and before you know it you have hundreds and spend every waking moment thinking about phones and maybe even dreaming about them ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan

Watch out Joey, this phone collecting thing can be a "sickness". Welcome!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Greg G.

Welcome!  Know why it's called a "500" phone?  Because that's how many you'll eventually end up with!  You got 499 more to get!  hahahaha!!!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on February 26, 2011, 05:02:06 AM
Welcome!  Know why it's called a "500" phone?  Because that's how many you'll eventually end up with!  You got 499 more to get!  hahahaha!!!

My problem is I bought a 2500 set.

Welcome to the forum Joe.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

stub

Joe,
       Welcome to this Forum. You can already see what this hobby has done to the rest of us!!!! Run while you still can , but I can say I have had a lot of fun learning about phones here. Great bunch of FOLKS!!!!!!               stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

joey67

Thank you all for the warm welcome!  :)

Next thing I looking for is an interesting wall phone. I have seen on Ebay people offering "space saver" phones. They are so small, do they require a subset box?

Any suggestions? Think budget please

HarrySmith

Hey Joe,
Space Saver is actually an AE name even though people call the WE model by that name it is incorrect. They can be found cheap on ebay either way, in my opinion the AE has more style and comes in colors. Either one is not a complete phone and will require a subset.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Wallphone

Harry, where did you get that information from? Everything that I've seen on these said that WE had the Spacesaver and AE had the Spacemaker.
Doug Pav

wds

I think the WE requires the subset, AE only requires the ringer box?
Dave

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Wallphone on February 27, 2011, 03:08:35 PM
Harry, where did you get that information from? Everything that I've seen on these said that WE had the Spacesaver and AE had the Spacemaker.
Doug Pav

The WE 211 and 2211 were sometimes called spacemakers. Spacesaver was an AE Term.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: wds2185 on February 27, 2011, 03:12:38 PM
I think the WE requires the subset, AE only requires the ringer box?

I think that is correct.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim S. on February 27, 2011, 04:03:06 PM
Quote from: Wallphone on February 27, 2011, 03:08:35 PM
Doug Pav

The WE 211 and 2211 were sometimes called spacemakers. Spacesaver was an AE Term.
Jim
I just learned something!
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

The AE 'spacesaver' is a bit wider than the WE 211, but it contains an inductor coil and condenser.  The dial is built into the same housing, so it is far less configurable the the WE.

Larry