News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pink 500

Started by Melanie W., November 05, 2015, 10:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melanie W.

Happy to find this 1962 WE 500 in PINK as I rarely see rotary phones in these parts, and certainly more rarely find them in color.  Have not opened it yet but it is a bit dirty with some rust on the bottom.  Hoping I can work with the discoloration.

I have yet to test it as we have recently compromised our phone service in the name of a dual bandwidth router to accommodate our many streaming devices and, for some reason I don't understand, Comcast  will not allow both without bumping us up to a much more expensive package.  All my lovely bells have gone silent :'(

Pictures really aren't the same as the real thing, I'm surprised how striking it is sitting on the table.

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice phone!!

I would recommend using the peroxide treatment to remove the fading from the plastics. There should be numerous topics around here about the process.

It looks promising, nice find!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

A Panasonic PBX will bring your bells back, and enable your rotary phones to work.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Harry:

If she is without any form of phone service, I don't think a Panasonic PBX is going to get her bells back.  Melanie:  An Internet phone router doesn't normally take much bandwidth, so that does sound confusing.
-Bill G

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 13, 2015, 01:36:06 AM
Harry:

If she is without any form of phone service, I don't think a Panasonic PBX is going to get her bells back.  Melanie:  An Internet phone router doesn't normally take much bandwidth, so that does sound confusing.

A Panasonic 616 would surely work without a phone line. My 500 collection is hooked up to a 616 without any phone service, and they work just great with eachother.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Christian...I agree....I have a Panasonic 616 that I took the "phone Line" out of because I kept leaving it off hook while working on a phone and we received no phone calls. The intercom works fine with out the "phone line," its been over three years since I have had it in the 616....Doug
Kidphone

Melanie W.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 13, 2015, 01:36:06 AM
Harry:

What I understand of the situation--we do have phone, cable, and internet through Comcast and use WiFi through the house.  We were having problems with insufficient connectivity using the modem/router Comcast supplied.

The resolution became an Arris Surfboard SB6141 modem that pushes internet to a Dual-bandwidth WiFi Router so that half of our devices are assigned to one bandwidth and the other devices to the alternate bandwidth.  This has successfully solved our connectivity problems.

My problem now is this Arris Modem doesn't have voice capability.  So voice service is coming from the street to our house, but isn't getting pulled out through the modem and put into the jacks.  And I haven't found one other than what Comcast had that does.  (I'm sure I'm explaining this is non-technical lingo)

Does it sound like this Panasonic PBX would work in this scenario? Would love for my phones to work again!