News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What Telephone Do you think has the Most Deco Flair??

Started by Doug Rose, July 27, 2013, 08:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Okay...its summer time so let's have some fun. What phone screams Deco....great lines.... a real eye catcher. I am a WE guy, but I truly admire the great SC, Kellogg and AE phones with their great lines and angles. My favorite that gets everyone's attention when they come in my home is the AE 50 I have hanging in the foyer.

"Does it work"?? "Looks a like a 50's car with the big fins"  etc. So lets have a nice string of your favorites.

John want a ballot to vote on which we like best?

I nominate the great AE 50. Who says there ain't no cure for the summertime blues!!...Doug

Kidphone

Mr. Bones

Great thread, Doug!

I have to agree that the AE50 (I have two, yay!) is, likely one of the most extravagantly Art Deco phones I have run across, thus far; though there are some contenders, (IMHO, of course ;)) in no particular order of placement:

Stromberg Carlson 1243
AE34 / AE40
WE 211 / G1 (w/ F1)
WE / NE 302
WE / NE 354
Leich Beehive
Leich 901

I hope all is well in Mass, and you're enjoying a beautiful weekend!

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

DavePEI

Quote from: Mr. Bones on July 27, 2013, 10:17:47 AM
Great thread, Doug!

I have to agree that the AE50 (I have two, yay!) is, likely one of the most extravagantly Art Deco phones I have run across, thus far; though there are some contenders, (IMHO, of course ;)) in no particular order of placement:

Stromberg Carlson 1243
AE34 / AE40
WE 211 / G1 (w/ F1)
WE / NE 302
WE / NE 354
Leich Beehive
Leich 901

I hope all is well in Mass, and you're enjoying a beautiful weekend!

Best regards!

What about the Northern Electric Uniphones???

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

I have to agree with the AE 50, however, I'm not sure which handset I like better.  I think the one on the right is more Deco than the left.  Another very strong contender is the Kellogg 950.
Dave

AE40FAN

Automatic Electric phones of the 30's and 40's! 

Dan/Panther

Regardless of the model, AE, has the Art Deco mode down pat. I don't collect AE, but they still win.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 27, 2013, 01:50:26 PM
Regardless of the model, AE, has the Art Deco mode down pat. I don't collect AE, but they still win.
D/P

Fully agreed.

paul-f

I always like the bottom view of the SC1211.

All it needs to look like a 30s vintage roadster are headlights and wheels.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

zaphod01

It depends on your definition of flair. I have dozens of phones but the one people ALWAYS ask about is this dial blank TP-6. I get a lot of "WTH is that!"  :o
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Phonesrfun

For me, the Kellogg 900, hands down.  It just seems to me to go along with the Chrysler building or the Empire State Building, both in New York City.
-Bill G

liteamorn

My AE 50 is my favorite and gets the most comments. It is also used the most . I grew up in the WE world (mostly 500's) but I love my AE 50.

unbeldi

Hands-down for the singles prize:  the Kellogg Masterphone 900.

Mine is seen below connected to its contemporary Kellogg Masterbuilt Cordless PBX Switchboard, operational and available on C*Net.

If looking closely one might discern that the #8 station light is lit (top row of lamps) because the phone is off-hook.

Hmm, surely I could have tried to keep off the numerous finger prints and constantly accumulating dust after around 75 years of survival. This version of PBX was produced from the 1930s to end of the 40s, I believe.

But in all fairness, I have to say that the AE phones overall win the team prize: AE34, AE40, AE50, AE950.

tptech302

I would have to say the Automatic Electric, followed by Stormberg Carlson. I found this AE 47 I had purchased sometime ago, got busy with other things and had never open the box until last week, I found the old original number card behind the cover that had two different stick on numbers over it.

Josh

AE_Collector

Flip that AE 47 over and remove the base cover to show thait is also a mechanical marvel inside!

I love the original Dial Tag on the 47 with room for three numbers and the little arrows pointing in the direction of the line button for that particular line.

Terry