News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 880

Started by cgmartin9789, October 18, 2011, 01:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgmartin9789

I picked up an AE 880 that does not have the terminal block still attached. Is it absolutely necessary for the functioning of this phone or can it be hooked up some other way? Please help, i have the original installation booklet and everything but can't seem to find something that states if it can be done without it. Any information would be greatly appreciated from the many 880 owners on here.

AE_Collector

There was just recently a discussion here about which leads to connect on the 880 speakerphones. Did you get a 43A as well?????   ;)

Check this thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5558.0

Terry

cgmartin9789

Haha yes, I did.. how did you know? Metro Van is a small world isnt it?

-edit yes now that i made a broader search of just 880 and scrolled even further i found the thread that you are speaking of

AE_Collector

So you can either connect the required leads together and hook to a modular set cord or replace the existing cord with a modular cord but you will have to strap several terminals together inside the phone with this option. It is usually preferable t okeep the proper cord and modify the end so that you can plug it in.

The best way would be to get one of the little box like surface mout jacks and screw the appropriate cord leads to the screw terminals inside the jack and then plug in a "modular to modular" cord into this jack and the other end into the wall jack. This way you don't dmage the existing phone cord.

Terry

cgmartin9789

OK awesome, i understand that. Where would be the best place to pick up a surface mount jack that would work for what you are describing or are they all the same?

AE_Collector

They are all pretty much the same. 4 to 6 screw terminals inside. The only two for you to use are the ones with the green and the red wire connected to them. Hook the three 880 leads to the green in the jack and the two to the red in the jack. Then plug in a modualr cord and you're done. Where roughly are you located?

Terry

cgmartin9789

OK, awesome thank you for the help. Dunbar-Kerrisdale kinda thing, near the Endowment Lands.

AE_Collector

Quote from: cgmartin9789 on October 18, 2011, 02:44:04 AM
OK, awesome thank you for the help. Dunbar, near the Endowment Lands.

You should be able to buy what you need for $5 or so. A bit far to drive to deliver/pick up though I saw a job in the que for 4000 block West Broadway tomorrow.

Terry

cgmartin9789

Awesome, oh and should i just tape off the excess wires, can they be touching or should i tape around each individually and then tape them as a whole?

I saw a job in the que for 4000 block West Broadway tomorrow.

What do you mean by that?

-edit.. nevermind i get it.. i didnt know 4000 block existed? I am in UBC tomorrow, i guess i will be stop by somewhere to pick up the part

GG

It occurs to me that we should start an illustrated Wiki where we can create a full set of ongoing standard practices for all the phones we have and know how to service.  This would be similar to the Britishtelephones site but a group project so it's not a burden to any one person alone to maintain the site.  Permission to post material to the site would be given to people who demonstrate technical competence, thereby also keeping random spammers from getting in.

This would consolidate the huge amount of technical knowledge that folks here have, into a format that would become immediately accessible to anyone with questions.

Where there are numerous ways to approach a given situation (e.g. "how do I fix this damaged housing?"), each of them could be listed, along with its advantages and limitations. 

Creating a permanent archive like that would also provide an incentive for people to completely document everything, photos and diagrams included, because the results of their work would be part of the permanent record rather than lost in the ongoing shuffle of current topics. 

What do y'all think?

AE_Collector

Dennis is open to any additions and improvements to the forum. I agree that an area with well laid out categories of different every day fixes and proceedures that can only be created and edited by who ever owns that section would be good.

Isn't the "Colorful wiring diagrams" section operated that way? Dan/Panther has to create the posts...maye I'm wrong.

Terry