News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Rose 302 from eBay

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, August 19, 2018, 11:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

After five years, I finally got a color 302 besides Ivory...a nice Old Rose from eBay, won in an auction a couple hours ago for $114.

The handset could be in better shape, but the base looks like it's in fantastic condition. If you look closely, it appears that the handset--and possibly the housing as well--is coated in some sort of clear coat that seems to be delaminating from the plastic. Take a look at the handset logo, and the receiver cap. The receiver cap is probably a lost cause, given the chunks of missing plastic along the bottom, but the rest looks salvageable.

It's not exactly cheap, but not bad. I'm a little overdue for another color 302 anyway! ;D

www.ebay.com/202400603174 ( dead link 04-09-21 )
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

RotarDad

Nice project phone, Christian!  I saw that one and wondered if would make a good restoration candidate. The rose color looks pretty good from what I can see, so it should display well with a proper handset cord.   I'm sure you will make it look great.  Those color 302s often seem to have condition issues that make them challenging.....  Keep us posted on your progress!
Paul

HarrySmith

Good buy! Can't wait to see the restoration. Is that picture of it in the box the way it was shipped? If so you were really lucky!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 20, 2018, 06:47:46 AM
Good buy! Can't wait to see the restoration. Is that picture of it in the box the way it was shipped? If so you were really lucky!

I wondered the same thing... I didn't dare ask...  :(
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

WEBellSystemChristian

Sadly, no, that box was for an ITT 500, but the seller thought it went to this one. Thus, they had "ITT" all over the listing title instead of "Western Electric", so I probably lucked out as far as bidding attention goes.

The only thing I'm worried about is the chunks missing from the receiver cap. I'll probably need to find another one. Anybody have one by chance?
Christian Petterson

Jim Stettler

I have a damaged rose 302 that I would sell . I could probably find it if you want me to.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

oldguy

I put an early bid on that one, then wasn't around at the end. Congratulations Cristian.
Gary

WEBellSystemChristian

I got it in the mail today. Depending on how things go, this could be better--or worse--than I expected. Instead of needing a new receiver cap, I might need an entire handset, or I might be able to save everything.

I thought it was a long shot, guessing that the chipping pieces on the receiver cap were an illusion, but it turns out my guesses were right...those are just dark spots on the surface. It's actually the transmitter cap I should be concerned about. Some usual cradle-ear contact over the years resulted in some broken plastic chunks that might want to come out, unless I can solvent weld them in place.

The handset was probably used by someone who had a solvent or degreaser all over their hand--the surface is covered in tiny cracks. There are also areas where the plastic turned white. It seems pretty deep, but the inside of the caps and handset are still Old Rose. The receiver cap is the worst of all, but hopefully the bleached white isn't too deep.

The worst of the damage to the phone seems to be confined to easily sandable surfaces, without molding lines or logos/badges to worry about with sanding or chemical repairs. We'll see how this turns out. :)
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Now some of the handset: :o
Christian Petterson

HarrySmith

That will be quite a challenge. Keep us updated on the progress. At least you got a good housing, no corner cracks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"