News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Monophone works but doesn't ring I need help

Started by Crabitha, November 09, 2014, 01:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabitha

I am new to this forum.  I just like old phones and other 'gadgets.'  I got a great looking AE telephone at an estate sale that I want to use.  I plugged it in and it dials out and takes phone calls but the ringer isn't working. 

From the research I've done here, and on the internet in general, this looks like one of the later Monophones.

I have taken a bunch of pictures.  If there is something else you think I should take a picture of to help, let me know.  I love this telephone.  And I want it to ring.

Thanks for any help.

unbeldi

You have a very nice telephone. It is the "deluxe" version of the AE type 40, with the chrome decorations.
It was made in the 1940s, definitely before 1951, as the dial is a 24A36 type.

Is there any movement of the ringer, even a vibration, when the phone should be ringing?

The ringer appears to be a straight-line 20 Hz ringer with a bias spring.  If your phone is connected to the voip service analog terminal adapter, the adapter may not provide enough ringing voltage to overcome the spring bias or simple some corrosion or dirt in the armature pivot points where the clapper is attached.

Crabitha

Quote from: unbeldi on November 09, 2014, 01:08:30 PM
You have a very nice telephone. It is the "deluxe" version of the AE type 40, with the chrome decorations.
It was made in the 1940s, definitely before 1951, as the dial is a 24A36 type.

I wasn't sure because I couldn't find a date on it anywhere.  The patent numbers are stamped on the bottom, not on a sticker or a metal plate so that is what me think it was a newer one.  I'm learning as I go.  Thanks for your help.  Now if I can just get it to ring.

LarryInMichigan

I believe that your phone is one of the earlier type 40s.  This was one of the most stylish American phones.

To make the ringer work, try moving the cloth covered wire which is on the terminal labeled 'G' (where the red wire is connected) to the 'L2' terminal next to it.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Crabitha

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 09, 2014, 01:33:00 PM
I believe that your phone is one of the earlier type 40s.  This was one of the most stylish American phones.

To make the ringer work, try moving the cloth covered wire which is on the terminal labeled 'G' (where the red wire is connected) to the 'L2' terminal next to it.

Larry

I confess, it took me a while to see anything marked G or L2 but I found that.  What should I do with the wire that is already connected to the L2 terminal?  Sorry if that seems like an idiotic question but....I don't want to mess anything up.

Crabitha

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 09, 2014, 01:41:24 PM
I have one with a blown capacitor. Check that too.
Which one is the capacitor.  I have a whole lot of old (never used still in packaging) electronics and might be able to find something that would work.  Well, I realize that sounds dangerous since I don't know which bit is the capacitor...lol, but I want to learn.

Crabitha

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 09, 2014, 01:33:00 PM

Larry

I figured it out and it WORKED!!!  It has a beautiful ring.  I love it.  Thank you so much!!!  I'm really excited, thank you thank you thank you!!

LarryInMichigan

Great!  Now when your phone rings while friends or relatives are over, they will wonder what that pleasant sound is :)  Enjoy your phone, but beware that old phones can be highly addictive.  You may find yourself with 200+ in a few years like some of us ;)

Larry

Crabitha

It may too late for that.  I have already started.  I have a couple of rotary Princess phones and some sort of thing you plug into an outlet that I think will make it light up but I haven't figured out how to connect it all up yet.   I'm a little intimidated by wiring but I already have the bug.  Right now I'm re-arranging furniture to display my phone.  And I'm already planning on putting one of the Princess phones in my room once I get it figured it out. 

Doug Rose

Kidphone

jsowers

Crabitha, when you're ready to tackle the Princess dial light connection, start a new topic and we can help you with that too. I looked briefly and found this post by GLadstone that's very in depth and may answer some questions you have.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12714.msg133557#msg133557

Also some informational posts on Princess lamps:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11271.msg120430#msg120430
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10324.msg124315#msg124315

Welcome to the Forum and I'm glad your first problem was relatively easy to solve. You helped a lot with your pictures.

BTW, the capacitor is the large silver item next to the ringer.
Jonathan

poplar1

This version has two capacitors -- the large one next to the ringer is the capacitor for the talking circuit, and the small one near the dial marked 1 MF for the ringer.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.