News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 50s, different dials and ringers.

Started by Greg G., April 25, 2010, 02:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Doing a closer inspection of the two AE50s from my recent purchase, I noticed the dial of the one with the chrome fingerwheel wasn't sitting flush with the case.

Taking it apart, I naturally started with the back, not realizing those two screws hold the ringer in.  I noticed one was loose and didn't do anything, and when I loosened the other, I heard something inside drop.  Oops.  

Found the case mounting screws on the front. Both the ringer and and the dial have me puzzled.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the ringer was supposed to be mounted, so I took the case off the other one for comparison of both the ringer and the dial.  The reason the one ringer mounting screw of of the chrome-wheeled one was loose was because it didn't line up with the mounting screws of the ringer.

Here are the pictures, tell me what's going on here.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Couple more pics.  The schematic is from the chrome-wheeled 50.  I noticed that there's an additional spacer on the dial of the chrome-wheeled 50.  Why?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

savageje

Not sure about the dial, mainly because I don't have an AE50 to compare it with, but that single-coil ringer looks like it is from a later model AE80.  I have an 80 with one exactly like that in it, and the ringer's mounting holes line up perfectly with the base.  I suspect, at least as far as the ringer is concerned, that someone used it to replace the original one, which was probably a frequency ringer.

Greg G.

Ok, two more pics of the dials, then I have to get out of here.  I intended to leave the apt. 2 1/2 hours ago for errands, but these phones keep calling out to me and dragging me back.  "Come back!  Don't leave!  Take us apart, take lots of pictures, ask lots of questions, spend the whole sunny day inside with us!!"  

They're EVIL I tell you, EVIL!

The dial marked "821C" is from the problem one, the chrome-wheeled 50 with the odd ringer.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Ok, problem with the dials solved.  I looked at those "spacers" and compared them, they're both the same length, so I just replaced the problem one and pushed it farther down into the corresponding holes on the mount.  Sits flush now.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on April 25, 2010, 03:31:40 PM

They're EVIL I tell you, EVIL!

I don't want to think about all the things I blew off researching on D/P's phone.
It was a fun time and I did it because I wanted to.
If I put that much enthusiasm into work, I would get a raise.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on April 25, 2010, 03:45:08 PM
Ok, problem with the dials solved.  I looked at those "spacers" and compared them, they're both the same length, so I just replaced the problem one and pushed it farther down into the corresponding holes on the mount.  Sits flush now.

Exactly. I could see in the picture that the stud that is screwed into the back of the dial wasn't pushed all the way through the corresponding hole in the back of the mounting bracket.

Terry

Phonesrfun

That ringer that fell off is not the original ringer, as you have probably deduced by now.  It is off a much later model AE80, possibly an AE80 E, a mostly plastic phone from the later years.  Your phone may have had a frequency ringer in it at one time, and someone put that ringer in it to make it work on a straight line basis.

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 26, 2010, 01:00:14 AM
That ringer that fell off is not the original ringer, as you have probably deduced by now.  It is off a much later model AE80, possibly an AE80 E, a mostly plastic phone from the later years.  Your phone may have had a frequency ringer in it at one time, and someone put that ringer in it to make it work on a straight line basis.

Is there a straight line ringer that will mount correctly on these?
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Yes.

The one with the black dial finger wheel has such a ringer.  It has SL on it, which I assume is a straight line ringer.  It also looks like a straight line ringer.

-Bill G

AE_Collector

The modern 80E type ringer has the same mounting pattern as the older ringers. I would have thought that it would mount properly in a 50 unless I am forgetting some quirk of the AE50. Maybe it didn't have a ringer in it at one time and whomever put the new ringer in it just didn't have the proper screws to do it properly?

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: ae_collector on April 26, 2010, 01:38:17 AM
The modern 80E type ringer has the same mounting pattern as the older ringers. I would have thought tha tit would mount properly in a 50 unless I am forgetting some quirk of the AE50. Maybe it didn't have a ringer in it at one time and whomever put the new ringer in it just didn't have the proper screws to do it properly?

Terry

I double checked it, the mounts on the ringer do not line up, only one does, and that's the way they had it secured.  Apparently this is just "a ringer" that worked.  Notice that the gongs are mounted differently than the other one too.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

I guess I better take another look at some AE ringers.....

Terry

Greg G.

Here's how the ringer sits in the phone after it's secured by the one screw it lines up with.  Somebody was in a pinch for a ringer.

Where does the line cord hook up to these?  I want to plug them in to see if they work.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on April 27, 2010, 12:14:27 AM
Here's how the ringer sits in the phone after it's secured by the one screw it lines up with.  Somebody was in a pinch for a ringer.

Where does the line cord hook up to these?  I want to plug them in to see if they work.

The line cord hooks up on the terminal strip along the bottom. Next to the terminals for the handset. I think they are amrked L1 - G - L2 with L1 and L2 being the terminals you want red and green to connect with.

I haven't had time to research the misfitting ringer problem yet.

Terry