News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Prison Phone

Started by Doug Rose, March 28, 2023, 04:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Anyone have any info on the maker of this? Weighs 7 pounds, very sturdy.

Heavy Armored Cord, no name Handset.

In nice condition considering where it was. Nice English Spanish directions card.

I know it's not Rotary, but still quite cool...Doug
Kidphone

Jon Kolger

Jim Engle (payphone installer) would be the person to ask about this, he is very knowledgeable about this sort of equipment

Doug Rose

thanks Jon. I have never seen a Blue one, only stainless steel.....Doug
Kidphone

Contempra

Nice blue one , I have never seen one of this color either, only chrome. But the button on the right, what is its purpose ?

Doug Rose

Quote from: Contempra on March 29, 2023, 09:08:20 AMNice blue one , I have never seen one of this color either, only chrome. But the button on the right, what is its purpose ?
LOUD ....volume  control....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Contempra on March 29, 2023, 09:08:20 AMNice blue one , I have never seen one of this color either, only chrome.

This model was for the more stylish prisons ;D

Years ago, close friends of mine were harassed by an inmate who kept attempting to make collect calls to their house from the jail in a nearby suburb.  The first time he tried, they accepted because he gave his first name as the same as mine, and they thought that perhaps I was calling.  He made numerous attempts later, and my friends implored the police department where the inmate was to stop him, but they were told that the police could/would do nothing to stop the harassment because it was the inmate's right to make the calls.  Apparently, inmates have more rights than law-abiding citizens.  Why he was calling their number, nobody knows.

A few weeks after they told me about the incident, I noticed a message in my Michigan Bell phone bill announcing a new service called "Inmate Direct" which was intended to help inmates to call their family and friends.  I expect that the new service announcement was made only to customers in ZIP codes with high incarceration rates like mine.

Larry

Contempra

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 29, 2023, 10:35:58 AMLOUD ....volume  control....thanks...Doug

Thank you Doug, I was asking because I don't know how to enlarge an image. Not more to shrink it :( ...Denis

dvictor

Very cool catch, if that phone could talk by himself...

Instructions in spanish contain a few spelling mistakes specially painful   ;D

JorgeAmely

Is there a company name printed on the Printed Circuit Board (PCB in green)? Some contract manufacturers place company names on them, however, it could be the name of the company who made the PCB and not the company who ordered the phones to be made.

My 2 cents.
Jorge

TelePlay

All of the images in the OP are too low of a resolution to see detail, all under 1,000 pixels on the largest side, for example this image of the interior with the PC board.

All images at that low resolution are about or under 100 kbytes which are fuzzy without even expanding them.

To other members, keep in mind that an image with 2,000 to 3,000 on the largest side is best for low file size and the ability to expand them to see detail. Could probably read the characters on the above photo if it were higher resolution.