News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GEC Bakelite Muraphone

Started by Doug Rose, April 28, 2022, 11:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I did not need this BUT...seller said it had a crack on the shell which I could not see SOOO I made an offer and asked a question. No crack in the shell, but a chip out of the No 23 receiver.

Amazingly it survived a few hours on eBay until I got it

Phone works!!!

I need a no 23 cap. This is such a cool phone....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165445245048
Kidphone

FABphones

One of my favourite designs.

I have a box of #23 endcaps but as usual shipping may be prohibitive.

You could do a nice repair using black Milliput, but the colour match won't be quite the same.

Thread for the one I rescued. Yours has arrived in much nicer condition:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20359

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

A lunch hour well spent. Wrights Brass polish which works wonders on Bakelite. Fine steel wool and finished off with QAR-GLAYZE.

Can't get it to ring, but dials out and conversation is loud and clear. I will work more on the ringing as it did come with a schematic.

Bakelite is a amazing and the cloth handset cord is perfect.

For the time being I can move the chip in the cap to the bottom where it hangs up.

This was just covered with grime.

This is a tie with an AE35 as the classiest wall phone ..Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

That would likely have gone for more here in the UK. Well done for finding one with an undamaged case as they are very often chipped where the cables enter at the bottom.
The ringing probably just needs a strap moved or added. As you have the schematic it should be easy enough to figure out.

Jon Kolger

I agree, Muraphones are a very unique design.  They were made in color as well. I used to have one in ivory and also in red, never was able to find a green one.  I sold them years ago, but like most of the phones I've sold,  I wish I had them back.