2 (11.1%)
All gold
0 (0%)
some combination of above
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: April 11, 2015, 03:15:51 PM

Doug Rose

Harry...I think it is all nickel or chrome plate....yours will be just as nice...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

The fingerwheel & parts attached appear to be brass or gold.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dencins

Quote from: poplar1 on April 04, 2015, 04:19:09 PM
1939 Catalog shows black trim, and mentions chromium- or gold-plated, but not nickel or unpainted brass.

Just for information in 2007 hexavalent chromium used in plating was put on the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS) as a genotoxic carcinogen.  The common way to plate chrome was to first plate the part with bright nickel then plate a thin layer of hexavalent chromium over it.  The chromium is harder than nickel and increases corrosion resistance which was very popular in the automotive industry.  The RoHS restrictions have caused most plating companies to find alternatives to hexavalent chrome.

Hexavalent chromium has a translucent green tint.  Nickel plating has a faint yellow tint.  When hexavalent chromium is plated over nickel it will have a faint blue tint.  If you put freshly plated parts side by side in bright sunlight you can see the difference in tint.

Dennis Hallworth

TelePlay

Those eBay photos are all over the place in hue due to ambient light when the photo was taken. One direction had a yellow background, the other blue.

Using Photoshop to adjust the background to white, this is what the phone turns out to look like. It looks like Chrome, or Nickle.

HarrySmith

OK, thanks for the adjustment. Looks much better that way!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

I decided to go with nickel finish on the metal parts. Also I am working on an AE 40 ship phone with the locking cradle and decided to nickel those parts as well. I sent them all out to Dennis. He was recovering from a flood so it took a little while but it was worth the wait, everything looks fantastic! I have never been disappointed with his work. Before & after pics below.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Starting re-assembly. Some pics for now.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Finished. Tested & working. I had a NOS Extensicord I was saving for something special. I decided to use it here. A couple of pictures below and a bunch on Google here:https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNIkH5LHQOO4hdoWrYlf8fDB1v1i1QiHP-IQgr5

For sale, taking offers before it goes to eBay.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

One more finished picture.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Buzby

Beautiful, Harry.

Wish I was able to pay the room and board for it.

stub

Harry,
           WOW !!! Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

19and41

One of my favorite phones.  Fine job!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Dan/Panther

Harry, a work of art.
I understand all original is preferred, but I just can't help myself, I have to restore whenever I can.
Excellent work. Can you give me a PM on how much Dennis charged for ALL of those parts.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Babybearjs

it looks wonderful... I vote for Black and Brass myself.... they just go together.....the chrome works too!
John

WesternElectricBen

That's beautiful, Harry. That makes me want to do the same to mine.

Ben