News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson 1216 - Tragedy

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 08, 2012, 05:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just bought this: link on ebay.  It was a $80 BIN with free shipping, and I couldn't help myself.  I have no idea what to do with it, but in a post here a year ago there was a mention of an ebay auction where one of these sold for $357.  The handset will need to be changed, but I can find an SC handset.  I also might want to change the WE dial for an AE.

Larry

poplar1

Can someone tell me at what point Stromberg-Carlson started using their own dials? A 1212 (Fat Boy) that I recently purchased shows on the diagram inside only the AE dial or North dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

I think SC started using their own dials either right before or right after WWll. I would install an AE dial. IT fits and works better.

LarryInMichigan

I had a feeling that I shouldn't have bought this.  It arrived today heavily damaged.  I sent a message to the seller with links to these two pictures:

For what it's worth, the number "1215"is on the bottom, and the handset is a WE F1W.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Hey, whaddawant?  It was free shipping! Sorry for the damage Larry.  I hope the seller does something good for you.  It's a shame to see that the phone has been damaged.

Greg G.

Ouch!  Darn!  How was it packed?  I checked mine, the dial is an AE Canada. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

The phone was packed with the handset wrapped separately and set next to the phone, but the box was only about 1" deeper that the phone is tall.  It was shipped via UPS.  I have not yet heard back from the seller. 

The dial is a WE #6.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Here is the text which I included with the order:
QuotePlease pack the phone with plenty of padding so that it cannot move around and will not have weight from other boxes resting on it.  The handset needs to be wrapped and padded and kept away from the phone so that they cannot bump or rub each other.  These bakelite phones are quite brittle.

Thank You

I don't know if this phone much of any value as it is.  I suppose that someone might be interested in the base, and the handset and dial are worth a few dollars.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 11, 2012, 05:28:10 PM
Here is the text which I included with the order:
QuotePlease pack the phone with plenty of padding so that it cannot move around and will not have weight from other boxes resting on it.  The handset needs to be wrapped and padded and kept away from the phone so that they cannot bump or rub each other.  These bakelite phones are quite brittle.

Thank You

I don't know if this phone much of any value as it is.  I suppose that someone might be interested in the base, and the handset and dial are worth a few dollars.

Larry

I would be interested in the base if you're going to part it out.  But check with Steve Hilsz first to see if he has or can find the upper part.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

I have a phone with the same shell and cradle in excellent condition (forum link), but I do not want to disturb it.  These shells are very breakable, possibly second only to the Kellogg 900 ("pyramid"), so finding one non-broken is not an easy task.

If the user does not offer a large refund, I will have to return the phone to him.  I had a bad experience with a clock a few months ago, and the only ebay option for a refund was to return the clock against the seller's wishes.  We will have to wait and see.

Larry

dhilarious

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 08, 2012, 05:41:15 PM
I just bought this: link on ebay.  It was a $80 BIN with free shipping, and I couldn't help myself.  I have no idea what to do with it, but in a post here a year ago there was a mention of an ebay auction where one of these sold for $357.  The handset will need to be changed, but I can find an SC handset.  I also might want to change the WE dial for an AE.

Larry

I just sold one in great condition for $145.  was fully wired and the original cord was perfect.  No cracks at all.  i have 1 more left, but it has no cord :(

sad about all the cracks on yours I would be mad if that happen in shipping.  Is the upper body the same as the 1198?  I have not checked but if tis the same could you replace the body with a body of a standard 1198 that has no cracks?

LarryInMichigan

The seller said that they would give me a refund, but I haven't received it yet.  I think that the bakelite is the same as the 1191/1198, but I haven't verified that.  Mine has no mounting cords, so I probably overpaid for it anyway.  If I get the refund without having to send it back, I will probably offer the base to Brinybay and salvage what is left unless replacement bakelite parts suddenly become available for cheap.

Larry

dhilarious

If its the same as a 1198 and frankly I have over 40 1198s and by looking I could tell no difference.  I just did not try to remove it from the multiline phone...but if it is the same I could sell you a 1198 body as I should have one when I get my collection late next week.  I may have a full body avail now, but I would have to check on that.

I think you will have to send back to the seller, though.

LarryInMichigan

Thank you.  I might take you up on the offer.  The seller stated that they did not want the phone back, but if they don't actually send me the refund, ebay will require me to send it back.

I have been avoiding touching the phone at all until the issue is resolved for fear of breaking it even more.

Larry

dhilarious

FYI,

I took mine apart today because the cradle on the one I have left had a crack in it from shipping.  The base and the cradle are exactly from the 1198.

Since the cord is gone on my 1216, I am going to convert this to a single line and put a subset and ringer in the base.  I will keep all the original parts incase anyone wants to turn it back.  This way it will look identical to the original use but be functional today.  I think a cord is impossible to get to I think my idea works well.

The most important thing for this is the metal bottom tray and all the buttons.  If you have all that you are in a good spot.